Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Speed Triple 17.5K miles

The bike starts fine when cold or just a little warm. At these temps I can start, turn off the bike and then try again and it will start. It also starts up when hot but but takes a bit more effort maybe 2-4 cranks more than if it were cold. The biggest issue is when its warm, around 85 Celsius it doesn't start. It’ll crank but never turns over. Below you will find a link to the video with how it behaves in this warm to hot condition and a list of maintenance and tests I have done so far. Having a hard time with this one so any insight is appreciated!

• Oil and filter was changed at the beginning of the year.
• Coolant level is good.
• New battery – Shorai Lithium Iron LFX14A2-BS12
• Multi-meter voltage is good on the battery, at the solenoid, and at the starter motor.
• Tested starter solenoid – works fine when off the bike.
• Tested with old battery with a jump to a car. Old battery is essentially dead but I wanted to rule out the new battery as an issue. Still wouldn’t start when in the warm temp area.
• Inspected starter clutch – looks fine.
• Inspected clutch sensor – seems fine.
• Replaced spark plugs – these were in poor shape.
• Replaced starter motor – it worked but was getting worn.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Street Triple had similar issue. Wouldn't start if it was hot outside or if sitting in sun.

Took the Triumph dealer in Houston some time to figure it out. They found the problem to be a very small hole in gas tank. They replaced it under warranty and has been perfect since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When it's cranking over really well but not actually turning over, like your bike is in the video, I would look at the Crank Position Sensor as the primary culprit. The actual sensor in likely in your left side right near the Stator but you should be able to find the connector to CPS under your tank (or wherever it lives) and go through the troubleshooting steps (check continuity, look for a short to ground or break in the circuit, etc.).

EDIT: After doing a little digging into parts fiches online,

Engine Management System. Triumph | HERMYS TRIUMPH eSTORE, Port Clinton PA

it looks like your bike seems to have a totally separate Crank Position Sensor that is not integrated into the left side cover like many newer bikes have. I would definitely start there...good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts