Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been writing down my fuel consumption and checking it against the odometer for over 3 months now and I'm consistently seeing around 25 mpg (U.S.). Most of my riding is daily commuting, about 10 miles each way. Fuel consumption is definitely better on longer rides when I burn a full tank all at a single sitting but other than that, it seems pretty consistent and pretty low. :confused:

Details:
It's an '06 S3, 20,000 miles, no cat but I do see an 02 sensor. Internals are stock, has aftermarket StainTune cans but the previous owner said they were installed by the dealer and mapped correctly.

Any suggestions how I can get my mpg up around the 40 mpg range?

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think something is wrong, I would guess a mapping is off. I commuted daily on my 2006 and completely stock I got 45mpg - 47mpg. (US units.) That was a lot of highway driving but some city as well.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I get about 40 average on my 2011, and get up to 50 just cruising at relatively slow speeds. 25 is definitely super low for an average. I would think fuel filter, air filter, check the map, and also check the O2 to see if it is dead (though should throw a code - if being used). Check for exhaust leaks before the O2.

Do you have large amounts of black smoke coming out of the exhaust from poor burning fuel?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts