Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, my Daytona was dropped on its left side while running when my friend was stepping off without putting the kick stand down....

so there looked to be some coolant that splashed out of somewhere in the bottom, and the shifter snapped off at the bolt on the peg.

it won't start, but you can hear it trying to. everything sounds good it just won't actually fire up and run.

where should I start?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Start by getting a new friend.

Then check to see if your engine light is on. If it is, get a code reader to see what the fault is.

Lots of things can happen when an engine is running with the bike down, depending how long it ran for and at what revs. You might have an air lock in the injection system but it's not very likely and should purge by itself.

Good luck and sorry to hear this happened to your bike

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
When this model of bike goes over on the left side running you can get oil pushed through the engine breather into the air box which then goes into the cylinders and causes a hydraulic lock. If it happens at speed its bent rods but if it goes in with the engine stopped once the bike is upright (as you try to start it) you may get away with it (happened to my son when he got knock off). First step is see if its locked. Put it in third/fourth gear and see if you can get the engine to turn over by pushing it forwards. If it wont move then that's your problem. Clearing it is normally plugs out to get the oil out BUT try moving it backwards (still in gear) before dismantling it. I cleared my sons that way.

Best of luck if it is a lock.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's a great tip. The op said the bike kept trying to start. Could just be oiled plugs. So getting the plugs out for a clean would be a winner either way.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I guess I was thinking about bizarre things that could stop a bike from running.

Here is another odd possibility. This bike ( and the pre 2001) can get blocked fuel tank drain plugs. That lets water build up in the bottom of the tank. If you swill the mixture round (I did it getting on a trailer) you can pick up a mixture with more water than fuel. And the bike won't run. So that's plugs out to ensure they are dry and draining the fuel hoses ( when you can look for water in them).

Sorry about my year slip up.

Rob

·
Registered
136 Posts
I guess we could do with some more info from the OP. What sort of noises is the bike making when trying to start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update for everyone. the bike was stolen a week later, they ripped out the starter so i had to take it to the shop to get a new one. $700 later and they said the bike had a decent amount of water in the fuel system, they put in a new starter, cleaned the fuel system, and replaced the plugs and shifter that was broken off. culprit was indeed water

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
If it was the same as many of these early triumphs the drain tube that runs from your filler cap side to the underside of the tank furs up the connector that you plug the rubber tubes into. So when you stop for fuel and its been raining the water hasn't gone done the drain pipes and goes direct into your fuel tank. So water builds up in the bottom of the tank. This applies to your bike!!

Problem two - Add ethanol and you then get the added bonus of the reaction of water and ethanol and a swollen plastic tank (or weeping and paint damage). So make sure every time you take your tank off, check the metal connectors are open (use small drill bit) and the water can drain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts