Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, had a quick scan through the forum and didn;t find an answer, there probably is one, but there are a LOT of posts to search...

My Tiger has been SORN for a bit as she has starting issues. And it was winter, then lockdown...

Got a new battery last year after she did this, and that seemed to work. Then... took the battery off all winter and attached it again in February. Charged and started no problem. Then she started doing something really bonkers, that was to attempt to start every time I turned her off, that was hilarious at the fuel pump I can tell you. She blew the starter fuse and then there was no charge at all left in her.

I changed the fuse, wiggled the solenoid connections and that particular problem eased. Jump started no problem. Ran her for a few hours and no start when turned off and on. Jumped again, same thing. Charged the battery fully, still didn't start the bike (that was before I got a mulitmeter, so I couldn't test how much the battery was holding before trying to start it)

Battery reads 11.69V or thereabouts when not running, jump her and it reads 12.6+V, rev it and it goes up to around 12.8/9V (so not the alternator??, appears to be 'charging'), after 30 minutes running she is now settled at 11.8V. This still increases to 12.6V when you rev her to 3000rpm (again, suggesting it is not a charging problem?). Every time I jump her, she starts straight away, but sometimes if I disconnect immediately it stops again.

Is this a starter issue, an alternator issue, or a battery issue? It was not an expensive battery but it has only done one journey of three hours since new, and then the start-run-test many times this year?

If a battery issue, does anyone have any experience of Li-ion batteries, are they recomended?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm no expert, but from memory, the 955i won't start if the voltage is too low. I would suspect 11.8v is too low, which is why it'll start when you jump. It may me that one of the battery cells is faulty. There are places that will check your battery for you. as a comparison, I've just checked my battery. The bike was last used yesterday evening and it's at 12.54v with the ignition switched off.

I'm not sure about the voltage it's charging at either but don't have the time at the moment to check mine. However, I'm fairly sure it should be in the region of 13.2+v at idle rising to around 14v at 2000rpm.

The charging system on these is known to be weak. If the voltage when revving is low, it's likely to be the alternator, if it's too high then suspect the reg/rec. Either way, it can affect battery longevity.

As for Li-Ion batteries, I have one in my 06 955i and to be honest, I can't say I've noticed much difference between that and the standard battery I have in my 05 955i.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no expert, but from memory, the 955i won't start if the voltage is too low. I would suspect 11.8v is too low, which is why it'll start when you jump. It may me that one of the battery cells is faulty. There are places that will check your battery for you. as a comparison, I've just checked my battery. The bike was last used yesterday evening and it's at 12.54v with the ignition switched off.

I'm not sure about the voltage it's charging at either but don't have the time at the moment to check mine. However, I'm fairly sure it should be in the region of 13.2+v at idle rising to around 14v at 2000rpm.

The charging system on these is known to be weak. If the voltage when revving is low, it's likely to be the alternator, if it's too high then suspect the reg/rec. Either way, it can affect battery longevity.

As for Li-Ion batteries, I have one in my 06 955i and to be honest, I can't say I've noticed much difference between that and the standard battery I have in my 05 955i.
Thanks for that, I did change the reg/rec and alternator about 4 years ago after the cables started burning out, I used an upgrade recommended somewhere on this forum, so I hope it”s not that. Electrics are just not my forté! I’ve been planning on fixing my left heated bar for five winters so far...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I gave up trying to repair mine & just fitted some R&G heated grips instead. :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had a 955, and it just ate batteries for some reason. I always have to take mine off the road for 6 months every winter, and despite keeping the battery charged, I would have to get a new one every couple of years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts