Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history/bio, i ride a 2005 Sprint ST 110 miles a day. Recently, I started having starting issues. First it sounded like something was popping when the motor cranked. This popping lasted for about 2-3 months, but it always started. A week before she died. I noticed that when the motor was hot; it was taking several seconds and times to crank. Finally, after a few minutes it would catch and fire.

The culprit was the the starter sprag gear assembly or starter clutch. The bike only had 13,000 miles on it. I was a bit torqued, my 1983 Yamaha Midnight Maxim waited until 96,000 miles were on the clock, before the starter clutch went out.

All that aside, I put in a new sprag clutch assembly and she fired the first crank. If you are interested, the thing to pay attention to is your engine number. The low engine numbers have the smaller sprag gear assembly and the later models have a gear assmbly's that look to be about 30% larger. I would post pictures, but I don't know how. I did rip the gasket,but made two from the 1/32" black gasket mat'l from Advance. The other nice thing is that it is a relatively easy do-it-yourself fix. I would say all-n-all it takes about 4-6 hours. Cleaning off the gasket material was the most time consuming.

So that is about it. If you have any questions, drop me a line. If you are ever on the I-75/ GA 285 super slab between Cartersville,GA and Tucker, GA and see a blue Sprint headed your way throw out a wave.

Semper Fi,
Anywise

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome Anywise-I've had two sprag clutches replaced on my 06 (18,000 miles), thanks to the warranty. I was really concerned after the second episode, but the mechanics tell me the replacement is sturdier, probably the larger unit. BTW, they tell me it is almost impossible to push start a Sprint because you can't get the motor to spin fast enough to get the computer to fire the ignition. Not a good thing if the sprag goes out.

Also, the Sprint is needs a battery that is in top condition otherwise the drag will strain the sprag clutch more.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
A little history/bio, i ride a 2005 Sprint ST 110 miles a day. Recently, I started having starting issues. First it sounded like something was popping when the motor cranked. This popping lasted for about 2-3 months, but it always started. A week before she died. I noticed that when the motor was hot; it was taking several seconds and times to crank. Finally, after a few minutes it would catch and fire.

The culprit was the the starter sprag gear assembly or starter clutch. The bike only had 13,000 miles on it. I was a bit torqued, my 1983 Yamaha Midnight Maxim waited until 96,000 miles were on the clock, before the starter clutch went out.

All that aside, I put in a new sprag clutch assembly and she fired the first crank. If you are interested, the thing to pay attention to is your engine number. The low engine numbers have the smaller sprag gear assembly and the later models have a gear assmbly's that look to be about 30% larger. I would post pictures, but I don't know how. I did rip the gasket,but made two from the 1/32" black gasket mat'l from Advance. The other nice thing is that it is a relatively easy do-it-yourself fix. I would say all-n-all it takes about 4-6 hours. Cleaning off the gasket material was the most time consuming.

So that is about it. If you have any questions, drop me a line. If you are ever on the I-75/ GA 285 super slab between Cartersville,GA and Tucker, GA and see a blue Sprint headed your way throw out a wave.

Semper Fi,
Anywise
Engine numbers starting with? I have a 2006 sprint built in november 2005 if that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, not so fast, happy to be here

Help me to understand. One thing I just can't figure out, after looking at the mechanics of a sprag clutch; what does a weak battery have to do with it failing?

Admittedly, I am coming at this from ignorance, i chase electons in my other life. i have read several times that a weak battery will cause failure, but I just can't reason why. Is this with the old assembly or the new design? I can see how the new design applies greater mechanical advantage to the crank gear, thus reducing the force required to turn the crank. I am trying to understand 'cause-n-effect', but I am just not getting it. Any information or links you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

This is my first non-Japanese bike and the learning curve is very steep at this point. I bought the bike in September (5700 miles) and was not pleased when it did not start in December (13000miles). Is there anything else I need to look forward to? I can't afford to do this once a year. Tires and oil changes are all I want to do.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Ricster, from what I understand engines that are 246571 and below need the sprag clutch assy and gear/hub. And you would have to ask you local friendly dealer to be 100% sure. I did not the first time, so by elimination I got the right one the second time. My engine was a 23XXXX number. I did not know this before I ordered the part the first time and had to re-order to get the assembly.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I have an 05 23xxx series and my sprag went around 12.5 k and 3 months out of warranty. Just after my 12k service ( the wife was not real pleased about hooking up the trailer and coming to the rescue). The Mothership replaces mine no charge. The new one is beefier but I don't know when they started using them. The clutch aint cheap ($400+ + labor). I plan on replacing the battery this spring just to be safe. I bought mine as an 05 left over in 06. Other than that the bike has been great

·
Registered
407 Posts
Anywise-I'm not a mechanic and I don't play one TV so I can't explain issue. I did work at the dealership for a while (parts dept) and the first time it happened I was at work trying to start my bike to go home after work. The bike wouldn't start and I suspected the sprag clutch.

The service dept was already closed so we tried to push start the bike for quite a while. The next day they pulled the bike apart and confirmed the sprag clutch as the culprit. That's when the Service Manager explained why you can't push start a Sprint.

I believe the old sprag clutch is really the only weakness on the Sprint motor. The rest of the Sprint is just as reliable as any Japanese bike IMHO.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Push starting the 1050 is difficult but it can be done. I did this after my clutch engagement switch went south.

1) Make sure the ignition is on. I had to apologies profusely to the anonymous by standard who was huffing and puffing after the second attempt with the key off :eek:.

2) Use 3rd gear, the smooth gas station cement will just lock up the rear in 1st or 2nd when you drop the clutch.

3) Stand on the pegs drop your ass on the seat just as you dump the clutch.

4) Once you get a sputter be ready to pull the clutch in and baby the engine on up with the throttle. Running speed in 3rd is just barely enough RPMs to keep the engine running.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hey Ricster, from what I understand engines that are 246571 and below need the sprag clutch assy and gear/hub. And you would have to ask you local friendly dealer to be 100% sure. I did not the first time, so by elimination I got the right one the second time. My engine was a 23XXXX number. I did not know this before I ordered the part the first time and had to re-order to get the assembly.

Hope this helps.
When you say "engine number" is this also part of the vin? Meaning the last 6 of the vin being the same?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I am at work so I cannot check mine at the moment. But I am curious now; Just how common of a problem is this? Does anyone have an idea, or is this just a few units here and there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine numbers

Good evening,

I not sure about Triumph's engine/frame number system. The numbers on my Midnight Maxim matched. On this bike, the two numbers do not match. I do know if this motor was replaced or not. But from what I understand from the dealer, it did more time sitting than on the road.

All things considered and now that the starter clutch has been replaced I would feel good about touring on it. Now, I just need to get an Airhawk for the seat. I got cushion, but not in the right place.

·
Registered
138 Posts
VIN and Engine number

Just checked mine and the VIN and Engine numbers are separate and unique, well at least for my 08.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anywise (or others).,
Can you confirm whether it's engine number or VIN. Most of the triumph parts I've dealt with have been based on VIN.
Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Help me to understand. One thing I just can't figure out, after looking at the mechanics of a sprag clutch; what does a weak battery have to do with it failing?

Admittedly, I am coming at this from ignorance, i chase electons in my other life. i have read several times that a weak battery will cause failure, but I just can't reason why. Is this with the old assembly or the new design? I can see how the new design applies greater mechanical advantage to the crank gear, thus reducing the force required to turn the crank. I am trying to understand 'cause-n-effect', but I am just not getting it. Any information or links you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

This is my first non-Japanese bike and the learning curve is very steep at this point. I bought the bike in September (5700 miles) and was not pleased when it did not start in December (13000miles). Is there anything else I need to look forward to? I can't afford to do this once a year. Tires and oil changes are all I want to do.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Anywise,

I can't figure it out either, however, my 05' Sprint had a 90% good battery and happened to me then as well....and it certainly seemed like it contributed to the situation because the "clank" progressively got worse inside a few starts. Sounded almost as if it engaged and then disengaged and then went "CLANK" again. NOt a good sound, if ya know what I mean.

Luckily, it started just one more time "clinking and clucking" on this start and I rode straight to the dealer. It only cost me $100 bucks and I'm not exactly sure what they did, but I know they didn't replace it. Perhaps they just torqued something down I think?:confused:

Clearly, I'm not impressed with the situation, but it could have been worse and since I don't have a newer sprag assembly, I'll be keeping my battery in the 97% state if at all possible and replace which means probably every year or so. :mad:

//D

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you are interested, the thing to pay attention to is your engine number. The low engine numbers have the smaller sprag gear assembly and the later models have a gear assembly that look to be about 30% larger.
Hi Anywise, can the larger newer assemblies be fitted into the earlier 1050, I ask this as mine is a 2005 and expect the sprag to go sooner or later (10,000 on the clock) and if an improved assembly could go back in it would be handy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sprag Clutch Pictures

Ok, I think I did this right. I went on to shutterfly and uploaded the pictures of my starter clutch (old/new). The paper's lines are approximately 1" x 1". The new sprag assembly is on the left and the old one is on the right. Peruse the pictures and if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them. Again, the bike is a 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 with 13,000 miles on the clock.

go to http://anywise.shutterfly.com/

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It's is obvious that there is a big difference in the two designs. Hopefully , for all of us the new design will be long lasting.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I am at work so I cannot check mine at the moment. But I am curious now; Just how common of a problem is this? Does anyone have an idea, or is this just a few units here and there?
Nah man mine just did it and I am soooo pissed. Before I bought my '02, which I love the bike, I Googled around for problems and saw that it needs nice battery but did not see "near catastrophic meltdown from merely trying to start one with a bad battery."

$500 shot to hell, no performance gain, no safety gain, no tyres, no NOTHING.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts