Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here goes. I'm really stressing out about tires and I just don't know what to get. I have a 2005 Speed Triple (burnt yellow) and I live in Portland Oregon where we do get a bit of rain so I'm looking for a really good tire that does well in the wet. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Wrong question. (IMO)
Your going to get tons of comments on what tires to use and this can get as boring as opinions on oil or chain lube.
Bottom line, any of the major mfg's of tires today are going to work out fine. The question you should be asking is, should I be using a sport tire, or a sport touring tire?
Then the choice is down to best price available.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2005 S3 Tires

It's really hard for me not to like the Pirelli Diablo Rosso. I've been very happy with Pirelli in the past on other bikes and I'm sure that any tire that has been mentioned would be an excellent tire as well but something about the Rosso seems to stand out in my mind. I'll let you know how they work out once we get the snow thawed out around here and all those dang little rocks off the road :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Which Tire

Have run the recommended tires on my 2005 ST & they are the Michelin Pilot Power
Back 180/55-17 & Front 120/70-17 Great tires & hang on like chewing gum to your shoe.
Cuts out fairly quickly on metal roads but still 100% on the motorways right up to replacement point. I give them 10/10
Have heard that Michelin 2 CT multi compound will last long because of the dual composition
Keep us posted

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire update

Hey there folks, I now have over 200 miles on my new Diablo Rosso tires. I have no complaints whatsoever, they seem to stick like glue and certainly warm up quickly. Once again, however, I'm sure that the Michelins would work equally well as I was at my local Italian dealer and saw that their top of the line $100,000 plus MV Agusta was sporting none other than the Michelin Pilots.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey there folks, I now have over 200 miles on my new Diablo Rosso tires. I have no complaints whatsoever, they seem to stick like glue and certainly warm up quickly. Once again, however, I'm sure that the Michelins would work equally well as I was at my local Italian dealer and saw that their top of the line $100,000 plus MV Agusta was sporting none other than the Michelin Pilots.
Yip, I was also reading an article on the Big Bang R1 and it's also sporting PP's

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yip, I was also reading an article on the Big Bang R1 and it's also sporting PP's
My 09 came with Dunlop D210 Qualifiers. I had PP's on my 05 R1 and they came on my 07 S3. I like them. Don't have much experience in the rain as I avoid that as much as I can (not that hard where I live...:D)

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Have run the recommended tires on my 2005 ST & they are the Michelin Pilot Power
Have heard that Michelin 2 CT multi compound will last long because of the dual composition
2CT Pilot Powers will have about the same mileage as regular PP. The 2CT has softer rubber on the outside edges. Roughly the same on the middle as PP.

Pilot Road 2 is the harder compound tyre. Outside edges close to normal PP, but middle of the tyre is harder. A bit more slippery than PP, but double the mileage.

My favourite combo is PP2CT front and Road2 rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts