Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating moving on to another phase of modifications on a stripped down, heavily modified 2005 America, and I have a question about what now seems to be a useless part of the frame. The airbox was removed, battery relocated, side panels removed, so other than providing a place to secure some wiring, does anyone know of any use for the hanging "strut" in the middle? the only things I have connected to it now can easily, and most likely, will be moved elsewhere. But even as an air box mount, it seems awfully beefy, as if it was originally mean to for something else. And what's with the cross tube?
America frame question.gif

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm contemplating moving on to another phase of modifications on a stripped down, heavily modified 2005 America, and I have a question about what now seems to be a useless part of the frame. The airbox was removed, battery relocated, side panels removed, so other than providing a place to secure some wiring, does anyone know of any use for the hanging "strut" in the middle? the only things I have connected to it now can easily, and most likely, will be moved elsewhere. But even as an air box mount, it seems awfully beefy, as if it was originally mean to for something else. And what's with the cross tube?
View attachment 716727
If you look at the bottom of the bracket in question, that's the top rear engine mounting point so it's probably a good idea to keep it ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! right you are Cheerfull... Clearly next time I'm looking over my bike I need to put my glasses on! that rear engine mount totally blended in.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ha! right you are Cheerfull... Clearly next time I'm looking over my bike I need to put my glasses on! that rear engine mount totally blended in.
I agree it is a bit of an ugly looking box section, I think Triumph could have put a little more effort into that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree it is a bit of an ugly looking box section, I think Triumph could have put a little more effort into that one.
so true... I wonder why they just didn't incorporate a mount from the swing arm plate and do away with the ugly square member coming down. but I guess with side covers you never really see it. Gone are the days when the frame it'self was a work of art.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts