Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, on my phone and so it takes forever to browse this.. I was wondering if the 04 rs has aftermarket bars available for a more upright sitting position.. The factory uprade only raises them 1.5 inches I was told.. Any help soon would be very appreciated.. A purchase of this motorcycle hangs in the balance :p

thanks so much!!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
There are convertibars that suit our model, but in all honesty give it a few weeks of riding before you spend your dollars as you do get used to the lower bars.

You may want to try some core muscle exercises as well. Worked wonders for me. :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About the replacement bars

How much is the max possible by those bars.. Some of the risers I've found didn't cut it.. 11/4" isn't enough, and where can I find them? Thank you in advance!
Johann

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been looking in to this myself !
You can all so get Genmar Bar Risers

I'd say if you want more than 1 1/2" higher, then you've got the wrong style of bike for you. But like the other Steve said "give it a few weeks of riding before you spend your dollars"

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RS

I thought the sprint was supposed to be a sport tourer, with handlebars like it has, it's surely not a tourer.. Does anyone have the site for those replacement bars? I need a figure for the increase in height.
Thanks so much
J

·
Registered
420 Posts
i have the convertibars which can move grips up and back about 7 1/2". my bike is the blue rs on their site. i hated the stock bars... j

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Convertibars

i have the convertibars which can move grips up and back about 7 1/2". my bike is the blue rs on their site. i hated the stock bars... j
Thank you all for the help; I am purchasing the beast asap now that I know there is a viable option for that seating position.

I am not sure which option I will go with but will post photos :)

regards,
Johann

ps it is an 04 sprint RS with 3000 miles on it.. For only 3900- probably get it lower than asking. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
A 2004, Caspian blue, single sided swingarm RS with only 3000 miles? Holy crap, you're lucky! Those were really ST's that Triumph stuck leftover RS half fairings (save for bars and rake/trail stuff), so they could use the factory hard luggage unlike the other years. I reaaaally really wanted one of those, but they're so dang tough to find.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep single trailing arm

Really think the caspian blue will have to go though...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Be careful with the LSL/Streetfighter bar option......

Sure, you can always purchase lower/straight bars, but in my opinion, as standard fitment, they are TOO high.........

I have neck/back issues, so needed to 'sit my head up straighter'......but I think with the lsl's it goes too far.
IE: There is almost NO weight over the front, handling WILL suffer....also the bars seem TOO close to your body!

I reversed my brackets around on the headstock...which effectively moved the bars further away, but also a little higher...counter-productive, I know... BUT you can now rotate the bars downward, so you lean your weight forward over the headstock a bit more, though they DO still contact the fairing on full lock...not ideal...be perfect for me if they were about 1/2" LOWER!!! ( straight bars might be the option there!!)

I would try some alternatives first...Gen Mars/Converti bars/even the later 07',08 Sprint ST bars as I believe these are NEARLY a straight swap, and are about 2" higher???

just my two pennies!!!!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok

I was going to gofoe the convertibars anyhow

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fitted ST bars to my RS - only mod was to drill another hole to locate the switchgear peg. Later added a set of risers, but I was still able to use the original cables etc. just had to re-route them a bit.
I thought it was a great bike and very underrated.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New?

I fitted ST bars to my RS - only mod was to drill another hole to locate the switchgear peg. Later added a set of risers, but I was still able to use the original cables etc. just had to re-route them a bit.
I thought it was a great bike and very underrated.

New st bars? Or a comparable year st??

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think even the early ST bars are higher.....but the later you go, the higher the bar options get.........

I'm (almost) kicking meself for not thinking of this option, before I 'jumped in' and got suckered (!!!!) into the lsl's.......

which aren't as bad as I'm making out, really......

just that one of the reason's I bought the RS...was because I like the idea of a SPORTS.tourer, I like to ride fast, especially in the twisty's, and the RS was VERY good at that, last time I used it in anger!......now I am reluctantly making it into a sports.TOURER!!.......though it DOES wheelie better, with the lsl's, but that's really of little concern to me.

oh well...............

·
Registered
258 Posts
Got any pics? From what I've seen on the forum, the LSL bars (superbike high anyways) are lower than the 08 clipons without risers.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I think even the early ST bars are higher.....but the later you go, the higher the bar options get.........
l...............
frider the 955 Sprint bars are slightly higher than the RS bars but not by very much.

In 2005 the first 1050 had considerably higher bars than the 955 and they have got higher I think twice since. The current model bars are now a lot higher than the eralier 955 ST's and RS's

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
LSL/
> Not my bike...but it IS a RS955 with lsl/superbike bars.........

Mine are slightly further forward/higher, BUT rotated downward in the clamp, which brings them back ( a little) and a (little) lower, also allowing a (little) further forward/down stance, with more weight over the headstock/front wheel......
Geez, I can't imagine riding an ST with the higher bars then!!.

I just need, due to cervical/disc damage, to keep my head/neck area more 'in line' with my (straight) back.....IE: I can ride forever, with the lower RS bars, but can't 'lift my neck' to scan the road properly, especially at slower/town speeds, as this effectively 'crushes/'Vees' my neck to back area too much!!!!

These will touch/hit the fairing on less than full lock.......mine 'almost' make it into the top half of the 'cutout'......if they were even 1/2" lower, they would clear it lock to lock..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Do you realize that Bike Bandit has several different types of handlebars available for under $20 before shipping? BikeMaster is the cheap (but absolutely usable!) brand. Just google "BikeMaster handlebars" to find a listing of different models with rise and pullback measurements, then look under universal handlebars in Bike Bandit's aftermarket parts section. There is simply no need to suffer with inadequate bars! :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
frider the 955 Sprint bars are slightly higher than the RS bars but not by very much.<...>
Umm, Dave? An RS *is* a 955 Sprint. Perhaps you meant "the 955 ST bars are slightly higher..." :p

Cheers,
-Mr. Pedantic

1 - 20 of 24 Posts