Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had a similar issue. A known problem with some girlies. I had mine replaced under warranty, no questions asked. Triumph went with the updated, all-metal head gasket starting in 2006. Prior to 2006,... there was a batch of later model Girlies, 2004+ (I believe) that got a faulty head gasket. Apparently, Hickley sued the gasket manufacturer to recoup some of the $$ lost from warranty claims. Easy/cheap fix part wise, but costly in terms of labour rates!

Its an easy fix, but does require some motor disassembly. I would suggest you have a qualified mechanic do the work if you're not particularly handy, and especially if you qualify for warranty work, which you may not. Sometimes Triumph will 'honour' a warranty claim for a known problem if the bike is just out of warranty and with low mileage.

I posted here and in the "other" forum on the subject. The "other" forum allowed me to post more pictures, so go here and read:

Before photos (and me bitching) :(
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4798&highlight=&sid=b44a57461d2d101a7704606056dae9f8

Repair & After photos (and me happy) :)
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5360

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Sal,

Welcome to the forum :)

Is your coolant mixing with your oil ?

Are you losing coolant ?

Are you losing oil ?

Could be the head gasket if it is any of these :confused:

You don't say where you live, but if it's somewhere very hot, it could be just that ?

I changed my head gasket on my year 2000 '900. I bought a Haynes manual and followed the instructions. It was a relatively straight forward procedure, if you are mechanically minded. Just make sure you don't dislodge the piston liners when you take the head off.

Check the colour of your spark plugs, do an engine compression test, and check your coolant lines aren't kinked or blocked, check your thermostat isn't damaged / not opening ?

Keep us informed.
yeah, and what Graeme said :rolleyes:

Just don't do the work in your undies pulled over your shoulders, it might restrict your arm movements. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.