Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have decided to try the limit float to 3/4 of tank capacity. Used a cable tie pointing down but it bends, found the right length threaded M5 rod that fits perfect and won’t bend in between the float and the side of the tube.

Next stop fuel pump out again while the tanks on the bench. Good thing really as it 30 plus degrees this August bank holiday in South UK today!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks D'Ecosse. I'll have a look at how the wires come together because I'd like to have a go at this. My sender is broken as it registers low all the time, no matter what the fuel level is. I've bought a replacement fuel sender from World of Triumph (Lings) but with the info you've given I can see I might well get the fault light issue unless I limit the travel of the float on the new unit. I don't really want to cut into the loom. I did that to fix the low volts at the battery, bridging rectifier output direct. It worked brilliantly - from a poor 12.6v engine running to perfect 14.2v on my multimeter - but the loom has already had a hard life, with other things done to it I think from a former alarm fitment. Nice to see TuneECU gives volts too. If I could get Bluetooth working, it would be nice to use an old Android phone as a secondary display whilst riding. Anyway, that'll be a job for a few weeks when the weather makes shed work more appealing. I've spent enough time in there whilst the sun has been shining, rebuilt the front end of my bike, finishing the chassis side of a full service. It's time to ride. I'm planning a trip from Somerset to L'Ecosse this week, up the Fosse Way for the first part of the journey. Ride safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So bit of an update and got a bit of time+decent weather to finally see if all the changes have made any difference to the rough running.

Well after cleaning the injectors, new fuel pump and filter, new hoses, cleaned fuel tank, new updated map (and all the TPS etc stuff) its running much better...! I think the main thing was the map update - but seeing as the tank was off I replaced the parts in there, its a 2004 so getting on a bit.

It still feels like its got to think about the fueling, like a half second later, and then its spot on, and fueling on the way down seems like its got to have more time to think than other bikes I have had, carb and injection, V4's and IL4's. Probably got to get used to the engine and where it likes to be - never had a triple before.

Overall though its great! Turns in lovely and stops almost as good as I remember my VFR1200 with its ABS and much heavier bike. Will get out on it more during Sept and Oct which are usually fine months for biking, not too hot and breezy to keep things cool.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good to hear you've made progress. I'm still a novice with TuneECU but it does make quite a big difference to my bike, switching between the factory TOR no SAI and standard maps. I prefer the TOR map for riding because throttle response is more immediate and the engine also picks up much quicker. However, starting was poor and part/off throttle fuelling lumpy. I've gone back to the standard exhaust too because the TOR was too loud for me for long journeys. Also only 1.5kg lighter than standard. Fun on short hops only. I've been doing lots of jobs as I've got to know the bike but nearly all chassis and brakes so any changes in the engine must only be too do with reawakening after its slumbers, sluicing lots of fuel through the injectors. I rode to Scotland last weekend,a900 mile round trip. The bike performed very well, apart from the rear brake binding. And getting a sore bum! I'm not planning any more spannering on my magnificent Daytona 955i until winter now when I'll do the valves and tank stuff, then get into fuelling fine more. Enjoy your bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I dont mind the tech stuff, I converted my classic mini engine to fuel injection/supercharged running Emerald ECU. The TuneECU software works great, its certainly helped me. I done all the rest like cleaning out the injectors and fuel pump/filter renewal as once the tanks off, all the bits are literally there staring right back at you..!

I seen a carbon TOR exhaust on ebay, looks ok, but is for "non road use" but suspect its not as loud as some exhausts out there! Mines only used for short hops, bit of a blast for a few hours when time allows. Main duties are left for the VFR.

Might have a punt on that exhaust and load new map to see the difference. The carbon can does look good..!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is genuine. Very good quality robust stainless and carbon, hence the weight . But it is a straight through 2" pipe, just absorption silencer, so not at all quiet. I could get a bolt-in reducer for it, have to drill a hole for a retaining bolt.

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
All TOR (Triumph Off Road) are marked not for road use (duh - hence the TOR moniker :D) - since it's an official Triumph part that is a CYA notation.
As new, they actually sound quite sweet - but with serious miles on one, its probably going to be loud, having had all the baffle material blown out, of which fate they all suffer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That sounds right to me. I expected it to be fruity but this one is beyond that. It rattles when I shake it too, so some matter is loose inside. Any idea how to repack? It is not riveted so not obvious how to disassemble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All TOR (Triumph Off Road) are marked not for road use (duh - hence the TOR moniker :D) - since it's an official Triumph part that is a CYA notation.
As new, they actually sound quite sweet - but with serious miles on one, its probably going to be loud, having had all the baffle material blown out, of which fate they all suffer.
Ah, always wondered why people refer to them as TOR, all makes sense now.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts