Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some problems with a daytona 600. The gauges turn on and off. They seem to stay on most of the time while riding, but in neutral they turn off and on. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
It depends on what exactly is flickering. Are only the backlights flickering, or are the speedometer numbers also?

If it is just the backlights, you could have burned out bulbs where the filament has burned but is still touching the other side enough to flow current. When you hit bumps, the two halves separate and the lights go out. I have one bulb doing this now which was somewhat perplexing until I removed it and found what the issue was.

If the speedo numbers are also flickering, it sounds like you either have a bad connection at the instrument panel or your battery is running low. I would check to make sure there is no water in the connector (remove, blow out with air, apply dielectric grease). Before doing that, however, I would check the battery voltage at the terminals while the engine is off and while running to see what kind of charge you are getting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agreed, that happened to my S4 for a little while when the stator was frying, then it finally died.

Zane

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you guys for your advice... I been keeping the battery on a tender, it's new a week ago. It was doing this with the old battery as well, that's why I replaced it. Still doing it, though not as extreme, or cosistently if you will. I don't think it's the connection, cause it's mostly when it's in neutral and not moving. Alternator maybe? Not keeping a good enough charge at low rpm's... I hope not... I'm sure that's not cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
We're going to need more information in order to help. Again, what is flickering? What are the voltage readings? It doesn't make sense that something flickers while the transmission is in neutral, as why would this not happen while the bike is idling with the clutch disengaged?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
check your stator pigtail on top of transmission, bet cha' 10 to 1 its melted the plastic connectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts