Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've been considering getting some handlebar risers so I can sit up a bit straighter. The other day I was at a dealer and sat on what I believe was an '08 ST, and noticed it was much more comfortable. It appears that the handlebars on the '08 have more rise on them than my '03. The dealer said the '08 bars should just bolt on with maybe just needing to replace the clutch line. I've looked at the drawings on Bikebandit and mounting screws are identical, but the drawings look very generic.
Has anyone out there done this already? Is it doable? Or should I just go with the aftermarket risers?

Thanks in advance
Mark

·
Registered
488 Posts
Another possibility is the LSL tubular bar conversion, which comes with longer clutch cable and braided stainless brake line. I have this setup on my 2002 ST and love it. The LSL setup also lets you swap to a different bend of bar easily and cheaply if the included superbike bend is not to your taste.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it helps, the Gen-Mar bar risers I put on my '08 also fit the previous generation Sprints. So I would say the mounting pattern is the same for your Sprint and the new ones.
Hello everyone, I was wondering about adding risers to my '08 but it seems with the (now stock) high handlebar kit on the '08 going any higher and your bars would contact the shield when fully turned? How do you like having the risers on your '08 caddydaddy? Did you also change the shield for a difference in airflow with the different position?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Hello everyone, I was wondering about adding risers to my '08 but it seems with the (now stock) high handlebar kit on the '08 going any higher and your bars would contact the shield when fully turned? How do you like having the risers on your '08 caddydaddy? Did you also change the shield for a difference in airflow with the different position?
I'll send you a PM about it!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi Folks,

I've been considering getting some handlebar risers so I can sit up a bit straighter. The other day I was at a dealer and sat on what I believe was an '08 ST, and noticed it was much more comfortable. It appears that the handlebars on the '08 have more rise on them than my '03. The dealer said the '08 bars should just bolt on with maybe just needing to replace the clutch line. I've looked at the drawings on Bikebandit and mounting screws are identical, but the drawings look very generic.
Has anyone out there done this already? Is it doable? Or should I just go with the aftermarket risers?

Thanks in advance
Mark
I just did it today. Ordered the non-ABS high handlebar kit about a month ago, but with the holiday and work, didn't have time to pick them up until yesterday.

They work on a 955, but they are NOT a direct fit. Took me about ten minutes on each bar with a Dremel grinding wheel to remove enough material so they would fit and the bolt holes lined up.

It's pretty obvious where you need to grind once you try mounting them, the bottom corners on the new bars are more square than the old bars, need to round them off.

If you've got a REAL grinder, it'd probably only take a couple minutes total. Also, if you're careful, the ground areas are invisible once mounted on the bike. They're silver anodized instead of rough cast like my old bars, which I like, they blend in better with the triple tree cover.

You do NOT want to try to force them to fit using the bolts, it'd be very easy to ruin the threads on the aluminum triple-tree if you cross thread. Just keep grinding until the bolts line up and go in easy.

As far as fit, there was no problem clearing the fairing, no contact with the tank, no hand-pinching when at full lock while on the bike, though it's close if you're off the bike (like when pushing it).

Bar ends, grips, etc mounted right up, the bar section is identical, right down to the little screw holes for the left heated grip.

The kit also comes with a new clutch cable, a new brake line, a new (dual) throttle cable, and replacement crush washers for the banjo fittings. Keep that in mind when comparing prices with the GenMar, the cables and the brake line are worth a few bucks.

Since mine is a '99, I had to use the replacement brake line, but you may not need to on a '01 or newer since the brake reservoir is mounted differently on 01+ and the line is a bit longer, giving you more slack to work with.

Didn't need the longer clutch cable, plenty of slack on the original, but it's nice to have another spare. I also didn't need the throttle cable, and since my '99 is a single cable design, it wouldn't have looked right anyway. :)

With the exchange rate here in Canada, the '99-'01 GenMars with a new brake line weren't much cheaper after shipping. And by using the Triumph bars, I could keep my "Telferizer" RAM ball mount for my GPS (it replaces one of the Allen bolts on the handlebars and would have been too short to use with the GenMars).

As for price, I paid $204 CAD for the Triumph bars.

They also look better than the GenMars, just like they were made for the bike instead of tacked on.

I went ahead and installed OEM heated grips (picked up on Ebay) at the same time, and there was more than enough slack in the wiring for the taller bars.

Haven't had a chance to ride the bike since I did the install, too much snow, but doing the centerstand sit, it feels good.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
When you can Croak photos would be good for those interested in this mod.

I like the lower stock bars on my 2004 they fit me well. but there will be a good number who will be interested in your mod, it has been discussed but I think you are the Guinea pig in this case:D.

A successful Guinea Pig I might add.:)

I hope you really enjoy riding with them after all your effort.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I plan on taking some pictures today. Would have documented the process yesterday but my camera needed a charge.

I put 7000 miles on the bike with the stock bars without any horrible discomfort. But with my expanded middle and the amount of city and slab riding I find myself doing, the extra rise and pullback will be nice.

Besides, it was a nice snowy weekend project. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ok, actually had a chance to put 125 (foggy) miles on the bike this weekend since I did the handlebar swap.

(At the same time I did the bars, I installed OEM heated grips and a set of black/black Pazzo shorty levers.). I've also added a dark tinted Powerbronze "double bubble" type screen.

At low speed, the bike is just plain easier to maneuver. Getting my weight back a bit and off the bars and the further pullback must have increased leverage or something, low speed stuff and U turns are effortless, the bike seems to balance easier and just plain feels lighter in first gear speeds.

That's a seriously cool improvement since I use the bike for a lot of city commuting. My biggest concern about the install was that at steering lock the higher bars would make something foul the fairing. Not a problem.

At higher speed, I really couldn't see any downside. I could still get over the tank if I wanted when hustling through a curve, but had the advantage of being more comfy between the twisties. And when I felt like hanging half a ham off the seat, it worked fine too.

And my fussy right rotator cuff didn't complain a bit. Last but not least, I can totally flat foot the bike at a stop with clutch and brake in (I used to "3/4" foot it). Amazing what an inch and a half does for you. :)

The Powerbronze screen does a good job of dealing with my more upright position, but the jury is still out on the looks of it.

As for the Pazzo levers, when I impulse bought them from my local Triumph dealer last weekend (just stopped by to get a couple of replacement plastic windscreen screws), I wanted the long ones. But all they had for the 955's were the shorties. I took a gamble, and I'm glad I did.

The shorties are perfect, they feel good and look good, and it's nice to finally have an adjustable clutch lever. I should mention I have "bricklayers hands". In glove sizing, I need Extra-large to fit the width of my palm area, but have "Medium" length fingers.

The heated grips also worked like a champ. Roughly 36f/3c out this weekend, and as a test I was wearing my "fall" Triumph Roadster gloves, and my hands were comfy. At worst, the tops of my hands were kinda like cold feet in bed, not cold feet in the snow, if you know what I mean. I actually like the "too hot" high setting, it's "just right" with the thinner gloves. :)

As a side note on the heated grips, the kit I got off Ebay was for 2002+ Sprints (with the double throttle cable) but it works fine on the older bikes. Just wish the switch was lighted.

Overall, I consider the 2007 bars, the Pazzos, the Powerbronze and the heated grips all money well spent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, having read Croak's successful high bar fitting I ordered some this week, received today. A few seconds on the bench grinder and the left bar was on, the right bar actually didn't need any material removed and fitted straight on. Trouble is, I didn't look at the brake fluid reservoir fitting before putting them on. On mine (an 04) the mounting screw hole for the reservoir is on the inside end of the bar - horizontal with a small angled recess so the reservoir sits vertically.

On the new bars the mounting hole is on the top - was your's the same Croak? I've tried to find photos of the mounting arrangement on an 08, no luck, but an 05 has the same fitiing as an 04. I guess there are 2 types of bars, 05-07 and 08 on, and these bars must be for an 08 only.

So, two choices, take the grinder to it and make a cutaway (otherwise the reservoir would be at an angle) and drill and tap a hole for the screw, or fabricate a small aluminium bracket to mount it above the bar instead of lower down. I went for the latter as I couldn't bring myself to butcher a brand new bar. It looks OK but a bit higher than it used to be, doesn't foul the fairing though. Even though mine's an 04 and has a longer brake line than pre 01's,I did fit the longer line included in the kit as it's a bit tight with the original brake line. I think these are slightly higher than bar risers and standard bars by a couple of mil. The clutch and throttle cables were fine though as you said. The wiring from the left bar switchgear is a bit short on full left lock, so to be on the safe side I moved it a bit (having taken the fairing off) to create a bit of slack. It's a common problem apparently and I had a breakage of the clutch switch and horn cables in there last year which stops you starting the bike.

These may the only high bars available now, so if you are thinking of fitting them you may need to do a bit of modification, if you've got an 08 with high bars I'd really appreciate some info on how the brake reservoir is mounted on the bar, perhaps it's possible to use a new brake reservoir as it may have a different fitment.
Cheers

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, having read Croak's successful high bar fitting I ordered some this week, received today. A few seconds on the bench grinder and the left bar was on, the right bar actually didn't need any material removed and fitted straight on. Trouble is, I didn't look at the brake fluid reservoir fitting before putting them on. On mine (an 04) the mounting screw hole for the reservoir is on the inside end of the bar - horizontal with a small angled recess so the reservoir sits vertically.

On the new bars the mounting hole is on the top - was your's the same Croak? I've tried to find photos of the mounting arrangement on an 08, no luck, but an 05 has the same fitiing as an 04. I guess there are 2 types of bars, 05-07 and 08 on, and these bars must be for an 08 only.
On '99-00 models the brake res is mounted to a bracket on the brake lever assembly, and "floats" about a half inch above the bar on a that bracket. So that screw hole isn't used.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Croak/Swampy,

I have Gen Mar risers on my '01 ST. If I want more height, can the '08 bar kit be added with Gen Mars? Do you think the cable lengths would be OK? And will the bars clear the fairing?

The height with the Gen Mars are OK, but, for comfort I prefer to ride with plenty of elbow bend and it would be nice to sit up straight to stretch on on long rides.

Mike O'Keefe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's some pics of the bars fitted, they just touch the fairing on both full locks, but not enough to be a problem. I don't think these and risers would work together, there isn't enough clearance and all the cables would be too short. The cables are just about OK and the longer brake line is needed, not just because of the length, but also due to the angle it leaves the master cylinder. You can see how little material is needed to be removed on the left bar where it sits on the yoke, but the right went straight on. Swamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Swampy,
Thanks for the pictures. I checked my bike with the risers and the bars only have about 1/4" clearance to the faring at full lock (I didn't realize they fit that close). The only way to go higher would be with more handlebar pullback to clear the fairing as it turns up toward the windscreen.
Thanks for the reply,
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Swampy

great info , I have an 04 same as you and thinking of doing the same.Can you tell me how much the kit costs in the UK and how long it took for the swap

1 - 20 of 44 Posts