Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the forum. I picked up my first triumph, an 03 speed four. the speedometer just reads 0, and my take after some searching is its the magnet in the front axel. Does anyone have a how to on removing the front wheel so i can check this, ive read if i dont take it off correctly i will brake it. Or if anyone has any ideas where to get a pdf of the manual that would help as well. Thanks again for the help

·
Super Moderator
21,954 Posts
You cannot request pdf manuals on the site - it is against the AUP

The magnet does not get broken when you remove, it's poor re-installation - misalignment between drive plate and rotor - that causes the issue.

Unfasten the brake calipers and support them (do not let them hang from the brake hoses)
Raise/Support front end;
loosen axle pinch bolts on left fork
unscrew axle and pull out left side

If you place a block under the wheel it will make it easier to remove axle without wheel just dropping down - ideally a 2 x 4 or similar spaced accordingly.

When you replace install the drive in the wheel, carefully aligning the drive plate in the detents in the rotor magnet and move wheel into position - again, if wheel is blocked at the correct height, much easier than trying to lift/hold wheel in place with one hand while you insert the axle.

If you check the sticky threads in the SpeedTriple sub-forum, you will find an alternative fix for broken magnet - you cannot buy the magnet as OEM part, only available as complete sensor - expensive!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, sorry about the request, didnt know it wasnt allowed. I ended up finding a complete sensor for $36 dollars shipped, so I will give this a try, if not i will try one of the other methods. are there any special tools needed for this job? i know on my kawi zx6r i need an odd sized wrench to get the front wheel off.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi,
There are no special tools required as long as you have got a hex socket for the front axle.

I have recently changed mine as the magnet broke up inside the sensor. The speedo wouldn't go above 3 mph, which was quite comical when I got stopped by a bike copper and he said I was doing 'In excess of 80'!! I actually got off with a rollocking!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
17mm allen socket. Harbor Freight has a set that has it for like $15 or so. Somehow the magnet in mine broker earlier this year but I had a spare from my parts bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts