Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I left the bike for a period of about 4 months without draining the fuel. When I went to start the bike the battery was almost dead, the bike started but all the information on the dashboard was continually flashing & the ECM light was on.

Put a new battery in the bike & it started without problem but misses at idle & when being ridden, more so at low speed/low revs.

I presume, am hoping, that the fuel had gone off??????

I have syphoned as much old fuel out as I could and replaced it with new fuel but have only had time to ride 60 kms. so far, not enough to be able to discern any difference.

I am hoping that new fuel & a couple hundred K.m. ride will "clean" everything out.

What does the forum think of this diagnosis? What else may it be? The bike only has 6000kms. on it.

I am extremely time poor so if it doesn't clear, and assuming the problem has been caused by dirty fuel, is ther an additive I could put in to clean the plugs/injectors????

If I have to clean / replace the plug how long does it take to get to them and could someone please give a blow by blow description of how I may get to the plugs....I'm not totally non-mechanical but neither am I an expert so please bear this in mind.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The quickest things I can think of is to pour some fuel injector cleaner into the tank, get an oil change and put a new air filter in asap. The plugs should be fine. Check the air pressure in the tires, make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight then go blow the carbon out of it. Maybe go to Woodenbong then ride via Old Bonalbo to the Bruxner highway then enjoy the superb corners over the range to Tenterfield for lunch and then return. That's what I would do anyways, if I was in Australia.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So I left the bike for a period of about 4 months ... it started without problem but misses at idle & when being ridden, more so at low speed/low revs.
I've just had a similar problem and had to have a stick coil replaced. Apparently it's a common problem where moisture gets into the coil and bursts it causing misfiring at low revs. In dry weather and at high revs there were no symptoms.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would also go for the fuel injector cleaner. Dumping all the old fuel out would be best to do first. Then put some new fuel in to rinse the old dirty fuel and trash out. Dump this out also. The fuel filter may be dirty and need to be changed. I don't know of a reason to change the air filter as drakewn says. Then run some good fuel injector cleaner with new gas through the machine. I hope this works. In the future if you don't use the bike for a while add fuel stabilzer to the gas before you park it. Run the bike with the fuel stabilzer in new gas for a few miles before you park it and you should be all set.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you're running high octane fuel here, that goes off very quickly. A quick a reliable test is to open the tank and smell it. Fresh fuel has a pungent smell, old fuel smells flat.

Triumphs, especially Daytonas do not run well on old fuel. I'd remove the tank and get rid of it and possibly change the fuel filter while I was at it.

If the injectors are varnished or gummed up, get yourself to a Caltex garage and throw a bottle of Techron 1000 into the new fuel and run it through in one run. About a 200Km quick run should do it.

When did it have the plugs changed last? a new set of Iridiums will make a difference.

Hope this helps,

Linz :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks everyone for the help with this. As the bike only has 6000kms. on it, it still has the original plugs which should be O.K. unless gummed up.
So far all I have done is put new, clean fuel in & ridden ~ 60kms. The plan is to put injector cleaner in & do ~ 200kms. this Saturday.

drakewn, I do live in that part of the world, at least near the top end of the Bruxner Hwy, Coffs Harbour if you know it?

Redmelons, thanks for the contribution but the bike wouldn't have got wet & I prefer the easy fixes before looking deeper.

I'll let you all know how it went after the weekend.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I promised I would let everyone know the outcome of a 100k.m. + ride with injector cleaner this weekend.

Unfortunately the weather on Saturday & family commitments on Sunday conspired to prevent the ride, that time of the year isn't it?

I'll be trying my best to get out later this week, maybe Friday & we'll see how it goes.
In the mantime I have syphoned as much fuel as possible ouy of the tank & I'll be putting the injector cleaner & fresh fuel in before going anywhere.

Merry & safe Christmas to all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know AusSteve or what happened with his bike?

I am in the same situation with a 03' Sprint with just 5K miles.

I read in a later thread of his where he replaced the R/R. Is that something I can look forward to on this model as well?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Does anyone know AusSteve or what happened with his bike?

I am in the same situation with a 03' Sprint with just 5K miles.

I read in a later thread of his where he replaced the R/R. Is that something I can look forward to on this model as well?
Yes but only once if you do it right with a MOSFET type

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going through the same issues too with an '02 Sprint ST. Injectors were totally blocked. Had them sonic cleaned, but bike has sat for 15 months and the gum has damaged them. Have been advised that possibly use will free them up again. Cleaned Friday, stuck again Monday morning before I picked them up. $256 ea new from Triumph dealer in Bendigo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys won't believe this, but I took it to the dealership and all he did was replace the plugs! :-O Runs great now.

We thought we had eliminated this by switching different plugs to the cylinder that was missing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts