Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, I've lurked around for the past few years, and as my build is nearing completion, I thought I'd share as this build is pretty out of the ordinary. Feel free to follow me on instagram @ therumblesmith as you'll get more frequent updates on this build as well as my other projects.

In 2015, I found a 2003 Triumph Bonneville I found on chopperswapper in Long Island, NY. The bike has been in an accident, and was mostly complete except for the tins, front end, and other nic nacs here and there. My only concern was that the frame was straight and motor was intact, and when I found out it only had 1800 miles, I jumped in the van and made the trek from Washington, DC.

I had some grand plans for it, but as my shop started to take off it sat in the corner of the shop until late this summer, and through the years it had been cannibalized to save other bikes. I wanted to build something different, aggressive, and performance oriented, and because of my involvement in hooligan racing I wanted to build something that qualified in the class, yet was still streetable.

Anyways, I decided to tackle the wheels and suspension first. I had a complete front end from a ZX9R, I kept it around because I love the combination of the beefy conventional style forks and the big six piston tokicos. For the rear, I had some Scrambler shocks that were a take off, the height was right so I decided to go with them temporarily. I went with the SV650 wheel swap and machined the cush drive hub down, cut some spacers and line everything up, for tires I went with the k73's.

I then decided to handle the chassis next, I cut every unnecessary bracket and tab, shortened up the rear subframe, filled the holes where the passenger peg mounts were, and cut out the stamped piece in the subframe to make some room, and replaced it with a single tube, likely much stronger this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I then made a tubframe subframe for the airtech seat I had ordered, I had to widen the seat a bit in order for it to fit over the shocks, so some glasswork was involved to make it fit nicely.

Then came the issue of the rear brake, I wanted to keep the twin piston setup and didn't want to get a custom rotor, as the GSXR/SV650 is smaller than the triumph's, so I made my own caliper bracket our of 1/4" plate, worked out well.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a brake stay bracket on the bottom of the swingarm and used an aluminum stay arm off a GSXR600. The next issue was finding stainless exhuast flanges for the the bike, as I generally always build my own pipes for my build, and I didn't find a damn thing, so again, I made my own. I made a jig around the factory flange, and machined the rings out of 3/16" 304, and fuse welded it on the inside, then re machined them to produced a good mating surface. then i made the tabs and locked them into the jig, and welded it all up. I will offer the flanges for sale sometime soon if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I began the exhaust, again I wanted to do something that hasn't really been done before, so I started at the rear and worked my way to the head. With the exhaust fitted up, I moved to making an electronics tray out of 22 gauge mild steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have you fitted an SV650 wheel to the front as well? I happen to have a lot of SV650 wheels laying around...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Made a seat pan out of glass, and threw a first layer of foam on it, additional foam and upholstery to come. I spent the day today breaking down the bike again to metal finish all the modifications to prepare to paint it tomorrow.

Yes they are wet tires, hooligan rules indicate that if you choose to run 17's, it must be supermoto wet tire.

The front is a zx9r wheel, the rear an sv650.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes they are wet tires, hooligan rules indicate that if you choose to run 17's, it must be supermoto wet tire.

The front is a zx9r wheel, the rear an sv650.
Sigh, I was hoping I'd just found a way to re-purpose some of my old wheels. The rear looks pretty straightforward. I only have GSXR and SV wheels though.

I have to admit, I haven't pulled any of them out of the garage attic though. I'll have to bring a set down and stare at the front setup for a bit. I wonder how a front hub intended for dual discs works with just one? I don't want to end up like Jimmy Adamo if a disk or hub explodes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sigh, I was hoping I'd just found a way to re-purpose some of my old wheels. The rear looks pretty straightforward. I only have GSXR and SV wheels though.

I have to admit, I haven't pulled any of them out of the garage attic though. I'll have to bring a set down and stare at the front setup for a bit. I wonder how a front hub intended for dual discs works with just one? I don't want to end up like Jimmy Adamo if a disk or hub explodes!
In my experience it'll work the same, running one disc will have no affect on the hub, you could perhaps swap the bearings and make a different crush tube, or go custom axle.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In my experience it'll work the same, running one disc will have no affect on the hub, you could perhaps swap the bearings and make a different crush tube, or go custom axle.
Likely so. Jimmy's setup was strange running one iron and one steel disc so he'd have one working in turn 1 and two working in the infield as they warmed. Oddly, the iron disc gripped so hard that it was the one that exploded in the infield and killed him.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Have you thought about any heat shielding for those pod filters above the exhaust? Excellent to see your progress and skill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you thought about any heat shielding for those pod filters above the exhaust? Excellent to see your progress and skill.
I knew this would come up lol. I have been thinking of perhaps a shroud or shield in either aluminum or carbon lined with reflective gold shielding, supposedly it removes 80% of the radiant heat and I’ve used it in race car applications with some success, I’ll probably test first and see what the exhaust temps read before finalizing some sort of design.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Love the exhaust. Your skill with metal is obvious. Your vision and the inter connectivity of all the parts is amazing.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Oh eff you. That exhaust setup just gave me the biggest chubby - no homo.

SV650 rear wheel is dead simple, yah? I ended up running a ZX-6R rear caliper (slung underneath like the stocker) and just had to extend the bracket stay on the swing arm about .5" and bush the bracket for the SV650 axle. Was pretty straightforward, but I like your solution as well.

Subscribed for the rest of the build. Well done.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
What will you be doing with the power plant? It's a big heavy under powered lump but can be doubled in RWHP because it is way overbuilt. So much work, fortunate to have a shop many here dream of doing something like this. Like to see it on the road!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Love the exhaust. Your skill with metal is obvious. Your vision and the inter connectivity of all the parts is amazing.
Thanks for sharing.
I know this guy is showing off with that subframe and custom under seat exhaust setup welding. Took welding specific classes at the tech school as a young man but wouldn't trust my welds to hold up my a$$ up going 90 down the road, maybe some none structural welds but frame... Looked real clean after polishing , no slag or imperfections to be seen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the delay on an update, I've been busy working on customer projects, my personal builds generally take a backseat when I have a lot of work.

To answer the question of what I'm doing as far as powerplant wise, I plan to leave it internally stock, just the typical bolts ons for now as the motor only has 1800 miles.

I put the bike back as a roller after I gave the paint a few days to cure, while it was apart I went ahead and polished up the trees, I'll likely polish the lower legs too and do the seals to be safe. Once it was all kinda back together I started adding a second layer of foam to the seat then shaped it. I ended up finding some nice diamond stitched vinyl at a local fabric store so I went ahead and wrapped it, I'm on the fence on it, but it will stay for now.

I'm currently figuring out the wiring, and have been reading a few threads here about slimming the harness down, and Jeremy at LC FAB was kind enough to send me his minimal wiring schematic.

I also made a little bracket for the key out of some sheet, I just enlarged the holes pre existing on the frame to attach it.

The next step is to finalize the wiring and lighting, my brake lines are on the way along with new suspension for the rear, a motogadget motoscope mini, and a few other nic nacs here and there, then the tins are off to paint, I've settled on Mercedes-Benz Cosmos Black, and will get gold pinstriping, think John Player Special.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts