Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem is I've removed the tank and now cannot refit it expanded ? I can fit either the rear bolt or the front bolt but not both. How can I get the tank refitted. I have spoken to my local Triumph dealers Webbs of Lincoln, they have suggested I put it in a freezer to shrink it ?

Any help welcome

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
This does happen because the modern fuels we use attack/expand the plastic. Not sure if it's the ethanol in a lot of fuel that does it or something else or a combination of all of them !
I try & stick to Esso unleaded because in my area, Manchester/Cheshire, Esso do not put ethanol in their unleaded. Other UK areas are the same, but some are not & DO have ethanol ! No idea why, maybe someone on here can answer that ?

I've done exactly the same, last time I serviced my bike. Because I wasn't in any sort of rush I just removed the tank & left it on the side for a week or so. It was a bugger to get the bolts back in when I came to refit it.
The freezer idea sounds worth a try to me, I've also heard if you drain the tank & leave it to dry out for a while that too can help.
In the end I just about managed to get the two front mounting bolts/rubber washers to line up, (the rear one went in no problem) & get them tightened.

Moral of the story here is if you have to remove your plastic tank, do not leave it off for any period of time as it will not be easy to refit it !!

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
917 Posts
Ethanol in modern fuel draws ambient moisture out of the air and into the fuel, the nylon tanks then absorb the water out of the fuel and swell up. I don't remember whether the nylon will draw water out of the fuel if it's in suspension or if there has to be enough that the water drops out of the fuel.

The only way to stop it is to line your tank, the favourite seems to be Caswell. Precautions you can take are to try and fill up with non-ethanol fuel, keep the tank as full as possible all the time to minimise the air in there, and keep your scupper drain clear so any water sitting in the petrol cap recess can drain away instead of into your tank when you open the cap.

As CAT3 said some people have had success emptying the tank and either keeping it in a dry warm room for some time or putting it in the freezer for a while to dry and drag the water back out of the nylon, but it's not guaranteed to bring it back to proper shape/size.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Not much use to you now but i drain my tank before winter and leave the cap open for a few months, covered with a cloth to keep dust etc out it does help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Mark, I’m in North Lincolnshire. I try and drain the tank an then rinse it out, leaving the cap off afterwards to dry. The 1050 Sprint I had was a bugger for expansion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
20210505_113040.jpg

Thank you for all the replies I've removed the above item and all the holes now line up so the tank is fitted again happy days I will try and make up a new piece with the hole in a new place.

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA. Triumph Trophy 900. Honda Mtx125.
76 Posts
Hi Mark.
First couple of times i took my tank off to access filter plugs etc i had the exact same problem. It was a proper struggle to get the tank bolted back on. Now, and for the last 6 years, i only use super unleaded. I have never had the problem again. So the lads saying certain fuels swell/expand the tank are right.
I suppose, if you didn't want to use it all the time, you could fill up with super unleaded when you know you will be removing the tank for maintenance etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Without wishing to side-track this orignal thread, you could have a read of this, which explains in a little more detail.

Quite what the "technical" reasons are for fuel in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England & Scotlad are I have no idea, just seems odd !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts