Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My Tiger overheated and boiled over.
I've ordered new radiator cap and I dangled the thermostat in boiling water.
There's a pin Which did move out as the water heated.
Does this mean the. Thermostat is functioning correctly?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hi :),

It's a common thing that when very hot the expansion tank fills and overflows. It can also happen if there is an airlock in the system, or if there's not as much water in the system as you may think. I rode around Europe on my 955 and every time the engine worked hard as I went up hill in the mountains the temp gauge would get up towards the red zone, yet there was water in the expansion vessel. Turns out there wasn't much water in the rest of the system, but the expansion vessel showed ok, and I had an air lock ?? :unsure:

Ordering a new radiator cap is always a good idea, then at least you know that part is ok. There are a few vid's on Youtube on thermostats opening and closing, even one's specific to Triumph. There is also a vid of a Tiger cooling system trouble shooting:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the information.
I've flushed the system through and will replace with new coolant as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A big thank you to Tiger G for the advice above. Ive now replaced the radiator cap, heat sensor o-ring, thermostat housing o-ring and the coolant. Ive also lowered the fan cut in to 95 degrees with tune ecu and replaced the expansion tank plastic pipe fittings with brass ones and checked the pipes were in the correct holes.
I took her for a ten mile ride riding slowly through town then some faster B roads. the coolant temperature remained around the first line up on the gauge through out the ride. when i got home i let the bike idle for five minutes before switching off and the gauge didn´t rise very far before the fan cut in and lowered the temperature again.
So everything looking good at the moment. I´m going out to do some riding now instead of mending:).

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
A big thank you to Tiger G for the advice above. Ive now replaced the radiator cap, heat sensor o-ring, thermostat housing o-ring and the coolant. Ive also lowered the fan cut in to 95 degrees with tune ecu and replaced the expansion tank plastic pipe fittings with brass ones and checked the pipes were in the correct holes.
I took her for a ten mile ride riding slowly through town then some faster B roads. the coolant temperature remained around the first line up on the gauge through out the ride. when i got home i let the bike idle for five minutes before switching off and the gauge didn´t rise very far before the fan cut in and lowered the temperature again.
So everything looking good at the moment. I´m going out to do some riding now instead of mending:).
Good stuff mate......hopefully that's it sorted :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts