Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

So my Thunderbird engine seized & I was wondering about options...such as will another year TBird/Legend/Adventure engine will work or only the same year?
I was also thinking this might be a good experience for me in rebuilding the engine (I have some time) so if you've done it before, please let me know / give me some advice on it! For example, how hard would it be? Mechanically I've done timing chain jobs on my Accord & Pathfinder, so I think I've got enough mechanical know how to get the job done. I also have the service manual for the bike for reference.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Any year should work. Also you have the option of using a motor from a different 885cc carburated triple, such as Trident or Sprint. You could even fit a 1200 cc lump but they are rare.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi All -

So my Thunderbird engine seized & I was wondering about options...
What happened that it seized? I don't think that happens very often.
I am interested because it sounds like you have the same bike that I have, and I would like to avoid the same fate :surprise:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick,

Sorry for the late response...I was on vacation!

The engine seized due to low oil. The bike had started to smoke about a year ago & I was thinking of rebuilding the engine...but laziness got the better of me. I had been using the bike as a commuter for the last 10 years & had over 72,000 miles on it.
The oil site glass was very hard to read - - I had to use a strong flashlight to get an idea. So combined with needing to address the need to rebuild & low oil...the engine seized during a commute.

Hope this helps ya...I really like the bike but engine replacement options are worth more than the bike at the moment.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Rick,

The engine seized due to low oil. ...I really like the bike but engine replacement options are worth more than the bike at the moment.
Wow that is unfortunate! Sounds like something I'd do.

I hope you find an economical solution.

Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slinky or WSC -

So I found a 01 Adventurer engine with 12K miles on it...can you think of any complications in doing an engine replacement? I figure this is pretty much the same engine, so I don't foresee too much trouble...thoughts?

On another note, is there someone or someplace in the forum that I should be asking instead?

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Slinky or WSC -

So I found a 01 Adventurer engine with 12K miles on it...can you think of any complications in doing an engine replacement? I figure this is pretty much the same engine, so I don't foresee too much trouble...thoughts?

On another note, is there someone or someplace in the forum that I should be asking instead?
Yep, as WSC said. There might be some external cosmetic differences in finish but apart from that it's identical internally and in the castings.

You are in the right forum:smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts