Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have a 2002 Thunderbird that I purchased with an air box deletion kit already installed. Even the local dealer cannot seem to tune this bike to the pods and i'm fed up. I am attempting to re install the air box and cannot get the rubber boots to connect from the carbs to the engine. I'm tried everything in my limited book and am looking for some helpful advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats to an awsome bike!

Could you be more specific, what does not work? Are the rubbers too tight? Did you open the clamps completely before pushing them onto the engine?

I just installed a set of Keihin carbs on my bike like this: First attach rubbers to carbs and tighthen the clamps from rubbers to cabs. Then push the whole thing into place with the engine, then tighten the clamps from rubbers to engine. Make sure the airbox is in place behind the carbs when you do this, otherwise you have to pull the carbs off again :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had carbs out many times and not easy to get it connected because just a little space between airbox and engine..so trying to get carbs in (with all carb to head rubbers on) is a big deal. What helped me a lot was some guy's advice on this forum:
-put the carbs in space (without carb to head rubbers)
From rider position view :
1.step - attach right rubber just to engine (not connected to carb yet enables you to move carbs a little when going on..
2 . step - attach middle rubber just to engine
3.step - attach left rubber just to engine
Finally you can get connected all 3 carbs to engine at once..just put in
The last I get connected airbox from the backside.
Remember- there are two kinds of carb to head rubbers(look almost the same from outside.. for Mikuni and for Keihin,not the same lenght) and I found on my bike one Keihin and two Mikuni's so initially big problem to connect carb i axis..when I finally got all the correct rubbers, carbs easy slipped inside.
Even for Mikuni there are two kinds of rubbers: restricted or unrestricted so make sure you have all of the same kind

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you folks very much this helpful information. My garage here is in a deep freeze so it'll be a bit before I can get back in there and try these tips out.
I'm actually having more trouble getting the air box rubbers onto the carbs, it's like there is not enough room for everything to squeeze forward and attache, i'm wondering if the wrong rubber for that carb as suggested about might be the issue. Again since I received this part of the bike in parts it could be!

Since you guys have been so helpful any ideas why the tuning was such an issue with the pods on? I shouldn't have to re install the air box if I can just get the bike tuned properly with the air box, which the dealer did not seem to be capable of.

SYMPTOM with the air pods on: running at ANY RPM over 70 or 80 miles per hours the bike would start to studder, hesitate, intermittently loosing power.

My theory, bad as it may be was that at higher speeds the air pods are simply taking in to much air.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you folks very much this helpful information. My garage here is in a deep freeze so it'll be a bit before I can get back in there and try these tips out.
I'm actually having more trouble getting the air box rubbers onto the carbs, it's like there is not enough room for everything to squeeze forward and attache, i'm wondering if the wrong rubber for that carb as suggested about might be the issue. Again since I received this part of the bike in parts it could be!

Since you guys have been so helpful any ideas why the tuning was such an issue with the pods on? I shouldn't have to re install the air box if I can just get the bike tuned properly with the air box, which the dealer did not seem to be capable of.

SYMPTOM with the air pods on: running at ANY RPM over 70 or 80 miles per hours the bike would start to studder, hesitate, intermittently loosing power.

My theory, bad as it may be was that at higher speeds the air pods are simply taking in to much air.

Thoughts?
Could you give some more info on the carbs (should be Keihin if someone did not change them), the pods, and jets and needles. Preferable with photos if possible, there are alot of these setups in the roads so it should work. Could also be clogged fuel filter I guess but I let the experts determine this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm actually having more trouble getting the air box rubbers onto the carbs, it's like there is not enough room for everything to squeeze forward and attache, i'm wondering if the wrong rubber for that carb as suggested about might be the isSue..

In my case as long as I had one not proper carb to head rubber It was almost impossible to squeeze airbox with rubbers to carbs from backside...lots of abuse words out of my mouth to triumph engineers...Finally I got it and it takes mi just a second freely to attach

I tried open airbox (free flow K/N filter without backside half of primárny airbox) and put 40pilot jet+150main jet +3needle shims ( got info from proven setups thread) but it didn’t work in my case...

-but I didn't give up and ready for air/fuel gauge instalation for precise tunning

·
Registered
42 Posts
To make installing the air box rubbers easier, wet the rubber bits down with rubbing alcohol, then push everything together. The alcohol will make the rubber very slippery for about 30 seconds, then it will evaporate. Common trick when installing the carbs onto Tridents.

For tuning... go back and check all the settings. Float levels, pilot jets are clear, slides are synched, etc.. Don't assume anything, and actually check everything.

Good luck,
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts