Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and I just purchased this bike with 24,000 miles on it...and it is really a great bike I think...far beyond my expectations :)

The bike really pitches me forwards when riding and I'm looking to maybe balance \ adjust the bike some for me but I'm totally new to this crotch-rocket style bike as I ride 250 dirt bikes and harleys :)

On the suspension, the manual talks about setting the sag on the forks but not on the rear shock. Is there a know technical method for setting the rear sag on these type bikes? As written below, I want to change the sag but do not want to make this bike any more dangerous by making a bad adjustment to the suspension.

Currently the bike really squats a lot in the rear when I gas it very hard at 50-60 miles per hour...The front end is trying to lift at this same time... Is all this rear squatting expected and necessary?

Question 1:
I want to lower the rear end with the spring adjustment collar on the rear shock...Is this idea worth following up on? And as stated above, I do not want to hurt the performance of the bike. It seemed to be transferring all its weight to the rear under hard acceleration at lower highway speeds and I would not want to get the rear end loose with a bad adjustment here...

My weight is about 150lbs and I'm thinking the previous owner was heavier than me by a few pounds...I'm not sure if it was ever moved off the initial setting from factory...

The manual with the bike does not cover this topic...In fact, a warning is displayed here and says NOT to adjust the spring on the shock. On any dirt bike, sag is adjusted first and this spring (sag) would be the first thing adjusted before adjusting the rebound and compression on the shock...What gives here? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
ray_ray, The rear spring can be adjusted, it's just a bit tedious with a hammer and drift. Sag is just the static spring setting, you may want to look at the comp. and reb. adjustments first.

Brad

·
Registered
154 Posts
Preload/rebound/compression are all interdependant; you cannot change one without changing the others. Adjusting the preload to lower the height is going to give the bike very strange handling characteristics.

This is very good:
http://t955i.net/uploads/204656/Basic Setup.htm

As for the head down, tail up position; you get used to it. After a while it gets strangely comfortable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes that is good information on the fork \ shock action. And as stated, I'm well aware the sag \ compression \ rebound operations are all dependent. This is exactly the reason I was 'shocked' to see the manual did not explain how to set the sag on the rear shock. Again, from a dirt bike rider perspective, this WILL NOT work because the sag is set before any adjustment is made to rebound or compression.

With this all said, does anyone here know if the sag can or should be adjusted on the shock spring or do I just leave the spring (sag adjustment) alone and make the other adjustments on the shock?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts