Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who carries spares? I recently had difficulty with the Bonneville shutting down and am tempted to carry a spare igniter, coil and pick-up coil. Spark plugs and throttle cable? Where does it stop?

Thanks for your input,
Bonavent

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Whatever you carry, it will almost certainly not be what you need if you are unlucky enough to break down. I don't carry any and wouldn't have needed them anyway in the six years I've been riding my T100. Generally speaking these bikes are as reliable as anything else out there. Do you carry spares when out on your Sportster?

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Fix what's wrong with it, make it more reliable if possible, and move on. Why ride around with a pile of parts? You're not in the middle of Africa.

If you ride around with a spare pick-up coil, you'll have to carry a spare gasket and a set of tools as well, and you'll feel like a dope when you find out that the igniter and coil you replaced on the road due to your advance preparation did not fix the problem of the spark plug wire that worked loose or got water in it.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Whenever I add a bike to my collection I always purchase a kit of spare parts with it, even if it's new.

Knowing Murphy's law the chances of anything going wrong that requires those spare parts is slim...

A bit like that soldier that engraved his name on a bullet after he'd heard that "there's a bullet somewhere with your name on it".

He'd figured that if he owned the bullet with his name on it he would never get shot...

It's the same at work. If i ever decide to manufacture things for stock, no one ever orders them again...

Similarly if you have a wealthy aged relative make sure you don't ever do anything for them. We're always hearing stories about "He left everything to so and so, and they never lifted a finger to help", etc, etc...

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
But I'll wager that you don't ride around with those parts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well,
if I'm going over to the continent, I normally carry a pair of inner tubes plus punture repair kit, tyre levers, small 12v compressor,wads of spanners & sockets, a spare igniter plus pick up coil, spare clutch cable, spare coil & leads, spare spark plugs, & a tube of silly rubber. All fits in a tank bag, along with some wire, multimeter, and spare connectors, bulbs etc. An hour spent changing a tube (or anything else) by the side of the road is better than a holiday ruined. Never needed any of them (yet) with a Hinkley Bonnie, but if I didn't carry them...........
The inner tubes are the biggest/heaviest bits.
You try explaining what you need in Italian or German. Saying that, I've always found Johnny Foreigner very helpful when I have needed any assistance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank-you for all the answers and advice. What are the best ignition component (igniter, pick-up coil and coil) brands and other common spares to buy to make a Bonneville more reliable? (I see alot of discussion on ignition problems).

Thanks again,
Bonavent

·
Registered
621 Posts
Who carries spares? I recently had difficulty with the Bonneville shutting down...
Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what happens when the bike 'shuts down'. Some of the knowledgeable folk here might be able to help alleviate the problem so you can ride with peace of mind.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bike repeatedly shuts down after 30 miles and restarts after 30 minutes. The fuel tank breather and tip-over valve are OK. The pick-up coil reads the proper resistance plus the air gap is correct (.8mm).

Thanks,
Bonavent

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
My bike repeatedly shuts down after 30 miles and restarts after 30 minutes. The fuel tank breather and tip-over valve are OK. The pick-up coil reads the proper resistance plus the air gap is correct (.8mm).

Thanks,
Bonavent
What does it do just before shutting down?. Does it splutter and appear to be running out of fuel, slowing down gradually? or does it just cut out instantly?.

When it finally stops, are all the indicator lights and other electrics working right?.

When it has stopped, is there fuel in the float chambers?. This can be checked by carrying a driver in your pocket and trying to drain the chambers using the bottom drain screw/s. See if they're dry.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the bike second hand and drove it 1500 miles before it started shutting down. I first noticed a problem when it lost power similar to running on one cylinder. The next time I drove it (30 miles), it lost power again. I stopped both times to investigate but couldn't see anything wrong.

The third time it did it (30 miles), the bike stumbled and shut off (I guess similar to running out of fuel) and continued to shut down every 30 miles until I got home. It would start and run fine after sitting for 20-30 minutes.

I had installed some throw-over saddle bags under the seat right before the bike acted up. The middle part of the bags were indeed touching the igniter and connection.

I (upon your advice, Forchetto), checked the tipover valve and fuel tank breather. The tipover was stuck and the breather tube was kinked. I loosened the tipover and reinstalled the breather tube. I even switched gas caps (from my Adventurer).

I drove the bike around town twice (20 miles) and have not experienced a problem yet sans the saddle bags.

I indicated the pick-up coil has the proper resistance and air gap. I have a Gill igniter and spare Procom igniter which I tried each during the two test rides. Does the pick-up coil/coil/igniter fail intermittently?

I'm looking forward to a rally of 250 miles. Is it really that futile to carry a spare coil (Nology)?

Thanks very much for all the help.

Cheers,
Bonavent

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be sure to check for fuel in the float bowls if it does it again, Forchetto! I suspect if the tipover valve is stuck or the breather tube is blocked, a vacuum could prevent fuel from flowing into the fuel chambers? But why not for 1500 miles?

Thanks again,
Bonavent

·
Registered
621 Posts
I loosened the tipover and reinstalled the breather tube. I even switched gas caps (from my Adventurer).

I drove the bike around town twice (20 miles) and have not experienced a problem yet sans the saddle bags.
If this doesn't solve the problem, it may be a case of the seat pan pressing on the igniter, which may have been aggravated by the saddlebag yoke. This has happened to a number of people and is discussed on several threads, such as:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...niter-woes-2-days-before-5-day-road-trip.html

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Are the saddle bags "under the seat" causing pressure to be put on the igniter? It's been know to happen just with a passenger on the seat, or even a heavy solo rider, and then it malfunctions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the help on this problem. I discovered another issue: I switched the fuel cap with my Adventurer while troubleshooting the Bonny. Well, today I removed the fuel cap from the Adventurer and got a big "swoosh" of air venting. Should the fuel caps vent or does the breather tube vent the fuel tank?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Forchetto, I wish my bike would shut down again, so I could verify the float chambers are empty. What is the saying that 90% of electrical problems are fuel related?

Thanks again,
Bonavent

1 - 19 of 19 Posts