Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new tank for my bike, but I’m not sure if other model/year Bonneville tanks fit. mine is a 2002 standard, not the T100, but I’m flexible as to what tank to replace it with. Any info greatly appreciated.

The current tank had some kind of liner put in it, now it flaking off inside and clogging up the carbs.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I'm not completely sure, but I think that any carb'ed Thruxton, Scrambler, Bonneville, or T100 tank will probably fit. That would be 2001 to around 2008. If you snoop around here in the classifieds, you might find one.

I had an extra tank, but I sold it a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
As Balto says, any air cooled carbed Bonnie, T100, Scrambler or Thruxton tank will fit, all the same tank. Different colours, some have knee pads but all the same basic tank. If the tank has a large hole in the underside it's for an EFI 'bike, it will bolt onto your 'bike but isn't any use to you.

Reactions: rodburner

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
As Balto says, any air cooled carbed Bonnie, T100, Scrambler or Thruxton tank will fit, all the same tank. Different colours, some have knee pads but all the same basic tank. If the tank has a large hole in the underside it's for an EFI 'bike, it will bolt onto your 'bike but isn't any use to you.
In the U.S. for '08 we received an EFI shaped tank, no access panel in the tunnel of the tank, and bikes were carbed - but this tank will fit any '01 thru '08 carbed bike, but one does have to rearrange the main wiring harness for this tank to fit properly. I put an '08 tank humped EFI shaped tank on my '06 Scrambler some years ago, it worked fine. I documented the fit some years back, the underside of the '01 - '07 tanks are different than this one year only '08 tank - but it fits any '01 - '08 carbed Bonnevilles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the U.S. for '08 we received an EFI shaped tank, no access panel in the tunnel of the tank, and bikes were carbed - but this tank will fit any '01 thru '08 carbed bike, but one does have to rearrange the main wiring harness for this tank to fit properly. I put an '08 tank humped EFI shaped tank on my '06 Scrambler some years ago, it worked fine. I documented the fit some years back, the underside of the '01 - '07 tanks are different than this one year only '08 tank - but it fits any '01 - '08 carbed Bonnevilles.
This is great info, thanks 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks,

·
Registered
321 Posts
As grebmrof pointed out, the 08 tank will fit the 2002 bike, however it tends to be a very different tank in size and appearance. The tank was redesigned in 2008 to be larger to accommodate an EFI fuel pump which is on the 2009 and newer air cooled bikes. Since the 08's still had carbs the larger tank was a bit of a mismatch of sorts for that year bike. However, since the 08 tank is larger and doesn't have a fuel pump it probably holds the most gas for your bike of all the carbed bike tanks that will fit your bike.

Again, as grebmrof and others have pointed out, 2001 to 2008 tanks are your friends. Given that, the 08 tank will definitely look different on your bike if that is the route you are considering.
If you are considering the 08 tank you may want to look at the tanks on the EFI bikes (2009 and newer) and see what you think of that 08 change in looks. And as has been said by others the Scrambler, Thruxton, T100, etc tanks all will work on your bike. Good luck in getting it all sorted out. Let us know what you finally choose.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
As a follow-up to the post by 49erx2, I have an '08 T100 that I swapped out the "bulbous" EFI like tank (black/red) for an '07 (slightly smaller) tank (black/white - tuxedo). The dimensions of that '07 tank, to me, were better looking than the '08 tank that the bike came with. The capacity difference was minor. I am not recalling if I needed to rearrange the under tank wiring harness to do this, but may have had to make some slight routing changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As grebmrof pointed out, the 08 tank will fit the 2002 bike, however it tends to be a very different tank in size and appearance. The tank was redesigned in 2008 to be larger to accommodate an EFI fuel pump which is on the 2009 and newer air cooled bikes. Since the 08's still had carbs the larger tank was a bit of a mismatch of sorts for that year bike. However, since the 08 tank is larger and doesn't have a fuel pump it probably holds the most gas for your bike of all the carbed bike tanks that will fit your bike.

Again, as grebmrof and others have pointed out, 2001 to 2008 tanks are your friends. Given that, the 08 tank will definitely look different on your bike if that is the route you are considering.
If you are considering the 08 tank you may want to look at the tanks on the EFI bikes (2009 and newer) and see what you think of that 08 change in looks. And as has been said by others the Scrambler, Thruxton, T100, etc tanks all will work on your bike. Good luck in getting it all sorted out. Let us know what you finally choose.
Good point for sure, I wasn’t exactly sure what year the larger tank started so this clarifies. I’ll be looking for the 07 or earlier 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a follow-up to the post by 49erx2, I have an '08 T100 that I swapped out the "bulbous" EFI like tank (black/red) for an '07 (slightly smaller) tank (black/white - tuxedo). The dimensions of that '07 tank, to me, were better looking than the '08 tank that the bike came with. The capacity difference was minor to me. I am not recalling if I needed to rearrange the under tank wiring harness to do this, but may have had to make some slight routing changes.
Ok, that tuxedo color would be my first choice since my fenders and side covers are black. Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Tuxedo tanks were around 2005, 2006, and 2007. If you google those years you might be able to see which colors were offered in each of those years. The next trick is to find a used tank of any specific color that works well with your bike's current colors -- may not be too easy.

Have you considered some type of solvent to 'clean' your current tank. That might be an option. In the good old days, a really really looong time ago, we used to clean rusty interiors of tanks with some solvent and some gravel as an abrasive to shake it with. Took some effort, but we were usually successful in reasonably cleaning out the tanks. Good luck again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't know if you saw - There's someone in the for sale section selling an 01/02 tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Tuxedo tanks were around 2005, 2006, and 2007. If you google those years you might be able to see which colors were offered in each of those years. The next trick is to find a used tank of any specific color that works well with your bike's current colors -- may not be too easy.

Have you considered some type of solvent to 'clean' your current tank. That might be an option. In the good old days, a really really looong time ago, we used to clean rusty interiors of tanks with some solvent and some gravel as an abrasive to shake it with. Took some effort, but we were usually successful in reasonably cleaning out the tanks. Good luck again.
Well I hadn’t, the Mechanic told me the lining in the Tank would be hard to remove. But, if there’s a way, I’d consider it for sure
Don't know if you saw - There's someone in the for sale section selling an 01/02 tank.
did not, thnx!

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you think you might want to consider 'cleaning' the tank yourself, here's a couple of thoughts.
See if you can get any of the existing liner material out of the tank some way. If you can, place it in a glass type container and see if you can find a chemical or acid type material that will soften or dissolve it. You may have to let it sit for a day or two before seeing if there's any noticeable activity.

If you find a product that might work, then place some in the tank. Try to find some sharper edged gravel to place in the tank with the potential solvent. Shake it up vigorously periodically over some time. Then drain the liquid to see if you are making any progress in removing the coating. If so, repeat the process. You might call this a more time than money process.

When thru, one way or the other, be sure to patiently remove all the chemical and gravel, will take a few cleanings to ensure it is completely clean. More good luck !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you think you might want to consider 'cleaning' the tank yourself, here's a couple of thoughts.
See if you can get any of the existing liner material out of the tank some way. If you can, place it in a glass type container and see if you can find a chemical or acid type material that will soften or dissolve it. You may have to let it sit for a day or two before seeing if there's any noticeable activity.

If you find a product that might work, then place some in the tank. Try to find some sharper edged gravel to place in the tank with the potential solvent. Shake it up vigorously periodically over some time. Then drain the liquid to see if you are making any progress in removing the coating. If so, repeat the process. You might call this a more time than money process.

When thru, one way or the other, be sure to patiently remove all the chemical and gravel, will take a few cleanings to ensure it is completely clean. More good luck !
That is an idea I've been thinking of for sure, I hear acetone (and other dissolvers) could be good. I have an endoscope, so I can see around most areas inside the tank. It is a time thing and that's why I'm a little more apt to replace it, but this could be the route I go. Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you're in a hurry and can't find another tank, there might be another option. I used it on the 1955 Chevy pickup I had and it worked to make the truck driveable when it had lots of rust in the gas tank from sitting for years with little gas in it. Like I did, you might be able to add in a couple pieces of fuel hose and a viewable and removable (cleanable) filter just below the tank discharge. I did that on the truck and about once a week I had to clean the filter but the truck ran fine. Can't guarantee it would be adaptable or work for your bike, but if you can't find a reasonable replacement tank soon it might be worth considering as a possibility of a 'stopgap' measure till you can get it properly sorted. More good luck.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Just curious,but what color is the flaking liner,white,gray(POR15),reddish(redkote) or honey colored(Caswell)..The factory doesn’t use liner, so the tank may have sustained damage and been repaired, or was leaking due to a rust or seam split leak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're in a hurry and can't find another tank, there might be another option. I used it on the 1955 Chevy pickup I had and it worked to make the truck driveable when it had lots of rust in the gas tank from sitting for years with little gas in it. Like I did, you might be able to add in a couple pieces of fuel hose and a viewable and removable (cleanable) filter just below the tank discharge. I did that on the truck and about once a week I had to clean the filter but the truck ran fine. Can't guarantee it would be adaptable or work for your bike, but if you can't find a reasonable replacement tank soon it might be worth considering as a possibility of a 'stopgap' measure till you can get it properly sorted. More good luck.
Yes, I asked the dealer if they could put a fuel filter inline but the didn’t, but it’s a good idea. I’ve done it on bike and cars before

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just curious,but what color is the flaking liner,white,gray(POR15),reddish(redkote) or honey colored(Caswell)..The factory doesn’t use liner, so the tank may have sustained damage and been repaired, or was leaking due to a rust or seam split leak.
It’s the lighter color, almost a cream color

1 - 19 of 19 Posts