Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a 2001 tbird. number one cyl. stops firing put new plug in, ran fine, till today it did it again. looking for direction thanks

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You probably want the Classic Triples Forum for most of your questions about this bike, but as far as a direction goes I'd suggest looking at the ignition coil for that cylinder first.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,286 Posts
I once lost a coil in a '98 T595. That's a good place to start; Kit's right.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Hey HiDesert,

Not to hijack, but I had always heard the stick coils on the newer bikes were supposed to be rock solid, as opposed to the rather failure-prone units on the T3s. Was your failure just a fluke, or are they less reliable than I've been led to believe?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,286 Posts
I'm reaching back three years in my memory, but I seem to recall the consensus in the Daytona Delibrations being that the T5 generation had some ignition issues too. The problem seemed fairly common, as I recall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There seems to be plenty of evidence on the web that the Gil coils are unreliable..even the new ones. I just replaced my coils with Nology brand coils. Cheaper and noticeably better performance. Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem if was trying to solve although in the process of diagnosing it two coils were identified as well on their way out (failing under load).

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Could try swapping plugs/leads around, see what happens?

Make sure all the coil connectors are tight, no wire breaks. The coil primary earths to the frame thru' the mounting holes & sprung centres of the nutserts, could check they are ok?

Unplug & plug the igniter connector a few times - helps to wipe/clean the contacts.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
There seems to be plenty of evidence on the web that the Gil coils are unreliable..even the new ones. I just replaced my coils with Nology brand coils.
<...>
If you search around enough, you'll find plenty of evidence that the PVL coils are also unreliable. It is my semi-educated opinion that the placement of the coils above the engine and below the heat shielding on the fuel tank was a bad design decision, and will eventually kill whatever you put there.

Regardless, Nology sells the same PVL part that Triumph sells, and charges a good deal less than Triumph does.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

The coil to cylinder 1 also feeds the rev counter, and this normally stops working as a prelude to the firing of cylinder 1 stopping.

This symptom may help narrow your problem down?

Geoff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts