Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I have a 2001 Tbird with TOR'S. When I accelerate over 6500 the bike cuts out.
I noticed it does not do this until is is warmed up. With stock exhaust cans you
could just barely feel it. With the off road exhaust it is anoying. Is it jetting
or possibly electrical? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Best Regards

·
Registered
728 Posts
What do you mean it "cuts out?" hesitation? completly stalls?
if your over 4k RPM your already using the main jets so the problem could be fuel related. But More info is required.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TBird Cutting out II

Thanks for the comeback.

The bike accelerates fine up to 6500-7000 rpm then looses power like one or more
cylinders is not firing. I may try a different plug wire on each of the cylinders
and do some runs. Is this a common TBird Issue?

Best Regards

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Redline at 8500

Your most likely not hitting the rev limiter, I would look for fuel starvation. Loosen the gas cap when this stuttering happens. the air vent could be clogged or pinched. Carb cleaning or clogged air filter. The oem coils can short out, but will mostly run rough at idle.
Your able to run in PA, lucky tbird.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2002 T-bird, and after a few weeks it got worse. Come to find out I had a FARMERS AIRCLEANER, mice were living in my air box, I rode the bike almost every day for months too, it only sat at night. You wouldn't believe the size of the nest, it was bigger then a football. It was fresh too, there was green gass in it and I had just cut the lawn a day before I put in the K&N filter.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
The bike accelerates fine up to 6500-7000 rpm then looses power like one or more
cylinders is not firing.
It's usually a symptom of a clogged air filter. (RONNS has it right.)

The second most common problem is poor fuel supply under high demand. Check the position of your fuel valve, the tipover valve at the rear of the tank (must be vertical!) and if the airboxes are clean then check the duckbill filter in the fuel T at the carburetors.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Nice to see, um hear your still going strong, the rats in MN. sorry for the highjack.
Not so strong since the economic downturn (what I like to call the 'Obama Economy' to offend as many folks as possible) and since I've just been given a 1/3 pay cut and 2 week layoff.

But my bike is running great since I found a really cheap carb cleaner! :D

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I for one am a fan of the new Avatar!:thumbsup:
Steampunk RULEZ dude!!! :D

I'm still working on my Professor Folderol personna, Mad Scientist gear and the Death Ray (minor problem with the 50,000 volt plasma injector -- it keeps melting the stainless steel) but I've been having some fun with the whole thing so far.

http://prof-folderol.livejournal.com/

Do you think adding a brass cow-catcher to my bike would be excessive? ;)

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2001 tbird cutting out.

I had a similar problem with my 2002 T-bird, and after a few weeks it got worse. Come to find out I had a FARMERS AIRCLEANER, mice were living in my air box, I rode the bike almost every day for months too, it only sat at night. You wouldn't believe the size of the nest, it was bigger then a football. It was fresh too, there was green gass in it and I had just cut the lawn a day before I put in the K&N filter.
Thanks for the comback. I did have the Farmers Air cleaner with mice filling the airbox
full of dog food pellets. I pulled the airbox drained out the pellets and blew out the air
cleaner with compressed air. I think Ill replace the it with a K&N just to be sure. Yeah,
when I saw the dog food in there I couldnt believe it, since we have never had a dog.
It must have been in there since I bought it.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Dog food? not good

I just read a little note in an auto repair magazine They suggested putting a few drops of peppermint or spearment oil near the air snorkel to keep rodents from returning to nest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts