Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001 Sprint with 8000 miles on it and i heard about this oil that alot of other motorcyclist are using in their bikes. It's Rotella Sythetic oil from wal-mart. 10w-40 Now at high rpms upon hard acceleration the clutch slips bad. Do these bikes have weak clutches or what. I don't know what kind of oil was in it to begin with. And i know the person i bought it from didn't abuse and i know i don't. Anybody else had this problem or am i alone on this one here?? :???:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I always use the Triumph Mobil stuff and I have never had a problem with my clutch in 25k miles. I've had friends use "bargain' oil and end up with problems too so I figure I will stick with what I know works.

·
Registered
308 Posts
'01 RS w/ 82K miles... I used to use the Triumph Mobil stuff... now I use the Rotella from WalMart... No clutch problems here...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just a thought
check to see if your clutch cable is sticking in the cable jacket
that would act like a worn clutch too,8000 miles is too low ,unless the clutch has been really abused

·
Registered
747 Posts
Does the clutch have free play? Has it ever been run without any free play? If it has, it might be too late for this set of plates.
Triumph had some problems with clutch cables. I went through three of them quickly. They frayed at the lever end. The lever wouldn't return so it felt like a worn clutch.

36K on mine running mobil 1 car oil mostly. No problems.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
24,000 miles and I just changed my oil and filter tonight! I used the Shell Rotella T Synthetic from Wally World as I have every 3,000 - 4,000 miles since the 6,000 mile mark! You have a mechanical problem of some sort, it's not your oil. As others have pointed out look for an adjustment problem, bad cable hanging things up, or it's just simply been abused!
I remember reading the road tests of this bike before I bought it and one of the criteria was that Triumph took these things to the drag strip and performed 200+ launches and the clutch was expected to still perform in a normal manner afterwards! Pretty tough standard if you ask me. Now that was for the 2002 and up models, but I've never heard of any clutch problems with these bikes that wasn't the exception rather than the norm. The Daytona uses the same clutch as the Sprint and puts out 30 more HP!

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-12-15 03:16 ]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Double check what you got... there are a few Rotella's available. The only one I know of that is cool w/ a wet clutch is the RotellaT 5/40. Looking at the seal on the back where it lists the CPI certs, at the bottom is MUST NOT say "energy conserving", or it will have additives that will yield exactly the result you are experiencing. That Rotella T is great oil... have used it in bikes, gas and diesel autos for years. If it does say energy conserving, you maybe OK if you change the oil out, may not... seems some clutchs build up the energy conserving ***** beyond repair... good luck man.

Here's some good info on oil... this guys advice is taken by many in the Honda ST and V-Strom circles, he know's his stuff.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html#Oil

[ This message was edited by: GRN on 2006-12-16 00:54 ]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've only ever seen two Shell Rotella oils. Full synthetic, the one you speak of which is a 5w/40 and the non synthetic 'regular' oil which is a 15w/40. Both are for commercial trucks and neither of these are 'energy conserving'. If there are others then you may want to double check, but these two are fine. The 'truck' oils have more of the additives that motorcycles want that they are removing from the majority of the new lighter weight 'energy conserving' stuff we need to avoid. MMMMMM, truck oil good! :-D Thats a very good link too. No hype in it just the truth from someone who knows the business from the inside.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok my mistake i do have 5w-40 synthetic in the bike. I did check my clutch adjustment and there was some play in the lever. I am told that is good to have a little bit of play in the lever that way the clutch cable completely releases when disengage the clutch. But anyways i am going to change the oil and just for ***** and grins will try triumph oil. Then if it still does it i guess i then know that i have clutch problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you are running the 5-40 blue bottle, then I don't believe an oil change to MX4T isn't gonna solve the problem... hope you get quick and painless resolution regardless :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I did check my clutch adjustment and there was some play in the lever.
Did you check the condition of the cable itself? It could just be hanging up and it only feels like there is slop at the lever but at the clutch end it may be still applied slightly. Worth a check to see if ALL the parts that actuate the clutch assembly are working correctly before replacing a full clutch assembly. Triumph as you know has no sympathy at the parts counter! I would include the actuating rod going into the cover and the associated parts first. I keep relearning this lesson over and over too, check the simple sh*t first! When all of them has been eliminated, then you can dive in to the big stuff knowing something simple won't pop up later after you spent beg bucks on stuff you may not have needed in the first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts