Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering buying a 2001 Legend 900, and am going to go look at the bike in a couple of days. Is there anything specific I should check in the bike before I hand over the cash?

The bike seems to be in good condition from the pictures the owner sent, but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry about the double post - I posted in the Biker hang out forum as well, and was recommended by a couple of responders to look here as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Awesome man! I just bought my 99 Legend last weekend. My first bike.

Search for posts started by me, I just joined a couple of weeks ago. There's been plenty of help sent my way. These guys know what they are talking about.

If the price is right and the bike looks to be well maintained, I say go for it. I have been nothing but thrilled with mine so far.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The only potential problem that can be expensive to correct is if you are quite tall - the Legend seat is low and the controls leave some tall riders feeling cramped up. Seat modifications and handlebar risers may help, but the seat mods can be expensive if done well.

As for the mechanical concerns, invest some time searching this forum, and you will find a plethora of information. Buying a bike is pretty common sense, as you can see everything visually in terms of dropping or damage, and a test drive will sort out the tranny and engine. A major positive would be thorough service receipts showing all oil changes, etc. done by a reputable shop. If the owner did his own wrenching, some homework time spent here on the forum will provide you with a good list of questions to ask him/her, which will quickly reveal the extent of his/her knowledge, and serve to indicate the quality of care the bike has received.

As a review of this forum will show, there can be two common issues that affect the engine running properly, one being dirty carbs, and the other being coils. Both are well-known and easily fixed, but may cause you to be reluctant to purchase if you are unsure if they are the culprit. Your best course of action is to test ride it, and then search here for any performance issues you encounter during your test ride.

Finally, educate yourself as to the cost of maintenance items such as tubes and tires, which are much more expensive than automobile tires. The age and condition of the existing tires should certainly be factored into the asking price, as should the condition of the brake pads, and the chain and sprockets. You also want to know if any aftermarket tinkering has been done to the carbs, the exhausts, and the suspension, as these are common areas that folks like to tweak.

PS- Take everything Beastman says with a grain of salt, as he is still experiencing the rosy afterglow of his purchase!

·
Registered
157 Posts
PS- Take everything Beastman says with a grain of salt, as he is still experiencing the rosy afterglow of his purchase!
He's right, there is definitely some maintenance that I wasn't aware of. Triumph dealers are pretty pricey when it comes to parts and service. I'm fine with doing my own wrenching, but there is alot to consider if you aren't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts