Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else out there with 2001 or earlier model i've discovered that Triumph has sold us a lemon, the bottom end namely then crank simply are not fit for purpose my bikes fully serviced up to date with only 17000 on the clock and she gets fully synthetic oil changes every 1000 and yet my mechanic tells me she only has another 2000 in her! Please respond if your in the same boat

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
It sounds like your mechanic has his eye on a new set of golf clubs and is looking for a nice bottom end rebuild to pay for them. Either that or he`s a d!ckhead. I`d be interested to hear how exactly he calculated your crank had another 2000km`s left in it?

Speak to 'Miker' who moderates on the Tiger board, on this forum. He put 150,000 kms on his 01 Speed Triple and it was still running fine when he sold it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
one day I was thinking about oil change and doing the math. if you calculate that probably engine oil is fine for 3000 to 6000miles. I bet that changing before 3000 doesn't give any edge over shorter distange.

but there is problem with changing oil too often. everytime you drain the engine it takes it more time reach oil pressure after the change. so you could calculate that 17thou miles with 1000 mile interval would give 17 oil changes and little dry non pressure situation for the engine.

crank wears only when the oil pressure is not there. so even if you would run to engine for 100 years continuously, the crank would not wear at all. well maybe the oil flow would wear it, because after all, even water can wear out rocks.

so 17 changes with 3000 intervals gives 51000miles.

so it's possible to assume changing oil too often could do more harm than good?.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Changing the oil has the same effect as letting the bike sit over night and restarting it. Think about it, all the oil in the engine drains down into the pan anyway. You still have an oil film on the bearings, cams, and whatnot. Oil pumps dont drain down like they used to. You should however prime your oil filter during every change.

Again, I would like to know how your mechanic estimated 2000 Km left on your crank. I work in R&D of engines, and would love to know a trick how to do that without pulling the engine apart and actually measuring parts. (being sarcastic)

If you think your having a bearing problem, cut the filter open during an oil change. (They sell tools to do that. Check GOODSON) Youll see a bunch of metallic flakes in the filter. Besides that, if you dont have any oil pressure, thats an indication a bearing has worn out. But its also an indication that the pump is worn out, a seal has blown, the pressure regulator is stuck open, etc.

And always, unless your bored and want to do an engine rebuild, take it to another mechanic. Tell them something feels funky, but DONT tell them what the other mechanic said. Wait for what they think it is, or for a clean bill of health. Then tell them what the other guy thinks. Theyll probably laugh hysterically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts