Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to this forum and new to triumphs, i have just got myself a 2001 955i speed triple which has developed a rattle i took it to my mechanic who told me it was probably the tensioner, he told me it was easy to change so i bought the new part and took the old one out.
when i removed it i heard a click?? is that normal? also i could'nt seem to get the new tensioner to go all the way in, however i could feel tension when i pushed against it, so i tightened two little bolts up until it closed all the way up is this ok? i am just a bit worried of starting the bike up now any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
DO NOT START THE ENGINE. (I know from experience)Sounds like the cam chain has dropped off the sprockets.
The correct proceedure is to take the clutch cover off and wedge something next to the cam chain to maintain chain tension before replacing the chain tensioner.
You may have to take off cam cover and clutch cover and re-time the engine before running it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i spoke to triumph and the fella said it should be ok, however i started the bike this morning and it ran like a complete dog and then died, it then struggled to start again for more than a few seconds at a time after speaking to triumph again the fella says that the cam chain has probably jumped a tooth and i need to check the timing. is this hard to do?? and what is involved?? lwould like to have a crack at this myself if it's not too much hassel thanks for you help in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
You will have to remove the petrol tank and air box and the cam cover off the engine, the cam cover is a bit awkward to remove and only comes out one side (left side i think?). You also need to remove the right hand engine clutch and crank cover, The crank can be rotated by putting a spanner on the end untill the timing marks line up, at this stage you can look up to the sprocket end of the camshafts and there should be two little lines that are now horizontal and inline with the cylinderhead edge.
You can get away without draining oil as long as the bike remains leant over on the prop stand.
If the marks do not all line up , then the timing is out and you will need to re-remove your chain tensioner and move the cams and crank untill all lines up. sometimes you need to put a spanner on one cam casting in order to rotate the cam a few degrees as the valve springs try and make the cam go to far or not far enough.
It is a bit of a fiddle and you are prob better off getting a haynes workshop manual before you start rather than use my proceedure as it was a while ago when i did mine and i may well have forgotten a few bits and bobs.
Good luck. Mike

·
Registered
453 Posts
Big Nuggets,
You've let the cam chain off the intake and exhaust cam sprockets and lost your timing. Not sure why your dealer told you to do so, but you really can't remove the cam chain tensioner and expect to keep your timing.
I put together what I think was a pretty detailed explanation of the valve clearance adjustment, which should show you exactly what you are dealing with. Here is a link.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/103494-valve-clearance-adjustment-2003-a.html

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Your bike can compensate if it's exactly 180 deg off, but nothing else.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't freak out too much, though, it just takes a little confidence and time and you can get this back in check. You need to take the valve cover off, but that's not too big of a deal.
I just say this because I was NOT comfortable with this during my valve clearance adjustment. And I had a second or two where I had lost my timing and Martin_R had to come in and bail me out. I hope to be available to offer any assistance I can.
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts