Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of re-positioning the location of the ignition switch to the RHS, I discovered that the lead was too short. Classic problem for a 2001 Bonneville.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that the easiest solution would be to extend the ignition main switch lead to 18 inches in total.

So I de-soldered the contact points inside the ignition switch itself, and added extensions to the existing 6 wires.

After carefully re-soldering the new wires to the contact points, I have discovered that the GREEN wire (position 6 of the socket in the wiring diagram) is grounded to the ignition switch housing and therefore grounded to the bike itself. I did not think to check this before I started!

I have not yet reinstalled the switch, I am just bench testing it.

My question is:

Can anyone with experience and/or the ability to read the wiring diagram tell me if the green wire is supposed to be grounded...???

(Obviously the pic below isn't complete, just detail for illustrating my question)

Thanks everyone !

·
Registered
666 Posts
If your green wire is reading to ground , when on the bike and turn ignition you will blow fuse 5 , the green wire is a switched 12v

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ade, got it sorted out and no shorts so far...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts