Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopped on the bike after it sat all day at work and it absolutely would not start. Waited 4 hours for a tow truck, got home, unloaded and the bike started immediately. Tried it the next day, seemed to run to operating temp then stalled and would not start. Left it alone, fired it up the next day and rode through my neighbourhood. Parked it and turned it off then tried to start it and nothing. Bike was not wet and this was in summer. Popped the tank off tonight and the fuel delivery seems fine. My manual is talking about air intake leaks and that kind of thing. Any recommendations or suggestion on how to go through this? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
pretty classic pickup coil fault. Gets hot and goes open cct and works again when it's cooled down.
Pickup coil (crank position sensor) located behind the alternator cover.
If you do a search it will be there as it comes up regularly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks. Does that fit with the initial scenario though where it had been sitting for 8 hours and wouldn't start?

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Could also be a failing ignitor, but there's only one way to find out, and it's expensive. I replaced mine with a Procom, which cost exactly half of OEM.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If your bike is failing often and within a few minuets of starting like mine was, it can be checked with an ohm meter. Just remove the seat, access the pick-up connector above the rt front of the air box, under the frame tube and check the resistance. I think about 600 ohms give or take a hundred or two. If it's ok start the engine let it run until it dies, quickly check the resistance, if open circuit that's the problem, if not, reconnect, start the engine, repeat two or three more times to see if you find fault. The pick-up can also be removed from the bike, placed in a pot of boiling water to see if it fails the ohm test.

·
Registered
730 Posts
When you say " it absolutely would not start. ".
Did it crank over at all?
Were the idiot lights illuminated?
Any sound at all eg clicking / buzzing?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Look at the bottom of your seat pan and the edges of the ignitor. If you see signs of rubbing/chafing, it could be the culprit. The seat in certain situations presses down on the ignitor and causes a fault to occur. a common cure is to take a dremel tool and remove a spot of seat pan to provide clearance. I eventually replaced the coil and ignitor on my "03 and haven't had any problems since. From longtime posts it seems once the ignitor has been flexed or compressed a certain number of times it will lead to failure. Mine shut off a few times and would restart after a short period. But those intervals became longer until it failed completely. Testing the coil with an ohm meter is not reliable because a bad coil can read as goo when cold but fail again when under load. If you know anyone else close by who would be willing to let you swap out parts temporarily, it's the surest way to troubleshoot two expensive parts. Good luck. (written while watching it rain on an otherwise warm Sunday, and craving the chance to ride.)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Look at the bottom of your seat pan and the edges of the ignitor. If you see signs of rubbing/chafing, it could be the culprit. The seat in certain situations presses down on the ignitor and causes a fault to occur. a common cure is to take a dremel tool and remove a spot of seat pan to provide clearance. I eventually replaced the coil and ignitor on my "03 and haven't had any problems since. From longtime posts it seems once the ignitor has been flexed or compressed a certain number of times it will lead to failure. Mine shut off a few times and would restart after a short period. But those intervals became longer until it failed completely. Testing the coil with an ohm meter is not reliable because a bad coil can read as good when cold but fail again when under load. If you know anyone else close by who would be willing to let you swap out parts temporarily, it's the surest way to troubleshoot two expensive parts. Good luck. (written while watching it rain on an otherwise warm Sunday, and craving the chance to ride.)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Well, we're waiting for the verdict if there is one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts