Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropping by from the classic triples forum - a 2001 Bonneville with 12,000 miles has popped up locally for sale. It has a new windscreen and looks to be in good condition, except for a small chrome blemish on the rear wheel and a speedometer which doesn't work. I searched ebay to get some ballpark price comparison, and found one with 4000 miles on it that sold recently for $3800. Our nearest Triumph dealer is 2-3 hours away, although there are several good wrenches locally. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of reasonable price, and highlight the known issues with this year's Bonnie? I'm helping a friend get back into riding, and I think a Bonnie would be a perfect riding partner for my 99 Legend. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
All about condition relative to price. $3-4K would be fair. First year had the very good cams. Very few known issues with these bikes. Check the spokes and ride the bike and inspect carefully. Other than that enjoy it. A whale of a motorcycle for the money.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
The 01 was the fastest of the years it had better cams .The only thing that gave anytrouble some had clutch troubles they changed the clutch in later years but I would not let that stop you from buying one.The 01 is getting kinda rare would be a good one to hold on to.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I am assuming broken speedo cable, but that one's easy. What kind of carbs do these have - are they similar to the Keihins on my Legend? TOR pipes, etc., pretty standard fare for these? I remember seeing some air induction(?) removal kits for some of these air cooled bikes - is this one of those? Any other general information I should know before test driving it for my friend?

·
Registered
464 Posts
You never said what the guy was asking for the Bonnie you are looking at.The '01 was the first year Triumph reintroduced the Bonnie,so that's worth something.As mentioned in the other replys the '01s had the better cams.If you can pick it up in the $4000 range,do it.This would be a great bike for your buddy to get back into riding on.There are several different aftermarket mufflers available if your buddy wants more sound and it has the the original mufflers.The TORS sound gets better the more miles are put on them.Far superior to the originals.The carbs are either Kehins or Mikunis,I can't remember which,,so you don't have to go to a Triumph dealer to have any carb issues resolved.These are sound,reliable bikes and you should only have to go to your Triumph dealer every 12,000 miles to get your valves adjusted.Oh yeah,the air injection removal kits are cheap and it's something you can do yourself quite easily.

·
Registered
234 Posts
2001 owner

Hi,
I've had a 2001 Bonnie since it was new and the only problem I had was the clutch switch . It's blast to ride still and looks and sounds killer. I currently have the Sprint pipes which really growl. It comes with the stock chrome engine covers which I really like. My biggest complaint about the stock bike was the seat and suspension. Easily resolved. The stock pipes are toooo quiet and there are many options here as well. The bike your interested in may need new rubber, my 01 like the avons, 140 rear and 110 front. In my opinion, if you can get it for $4g do it, I suspect the price may be higher if they know what they have.

Hoopla

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 01 Bonnie love the bike payed about 4000usd for it...29000km on the clock. So far i have had no trouble with it.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
real value

Real value on this bike is $3300-$3700 no more At around $4200 you should be able to get into an 03

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2001 Bonneville 2 years ago for $4200. It had Raask pipes, a Triumph fly screen and bar end mirrors. The mileage at the time was around 10,000. I've had zero problems with the bike and would recommend it to anyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts