Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was commuting to work this morning when suddenly, without warning, I lost all throttle response. I knew it wasn't gas - the couple of times I ran low and had to switch to reserve, it coughed a bit first. When I pulled in the clutch to move over to the breakdown lane on the right, the engine was just dead. It turned over when I pressed the start button, the kill switch works just fine, but it wouldn't fire. I had to call a tow truck to take it back home.

When I get home from work, I'm going to check for spark - it has gas, it has air, it doesn't seem to be a mechanical problem, so it must be spark; now, to figure out what the problem actually is.

·
Registered
2016 Thruxton 900
127 Posts
Hey man - a small consolation having such a beautiful bike to stare at whilst waiting for the tow truck.
If all was going good beforehand, hopefully its something simple like a faulty electrical connection or blocked carb not getting fuel into the engine.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Start by checking ignition system connections, especially the ignitor plug under the seat. Unplug it and re-insert it, see what happens.

And put the battery on a Battery Tender or similar when you're not working on it so it stays charged when you try to start it.

You can also try starting from a non-running car battery just to see if that works.

I went through a similar scenario a few years ago, and in the end, the issue turned out to be a failed ignitor. I replaced it with a Procom at half the price of OEM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Your symptoms sounds similar to what I dealt with last year. I'd start trouble shooting starting at the crank position sensor moving on to the coils then to the igniter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey man - a small consolation having such a beautiful bike to stare at whilst waiting for the tow truck.
If all was going good beforehand, hopefully its something simple like a faulty electrical connection or blocked carb not getting fuel into the engine.
Haha, thank you! I did confirm that there is no spark by pulling the right one and holding it against a bolt while cycling the starter. From the state of the plug, I at least need to replace those. Ill start checking the other things one by one tomorrow.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2007 America about a month ago. My bike just died on me after about 15 minutes riding while I was commuting to work, I would leave it for 10 minutes and have a cigarette then the bike would fire up and I could finish my journey which was only around another 10 more minutes. This happened for four mornings, the strange thing was at the end of the day I could ride home with no problems. On the Friday morning I took a spare plug with me so when the bike cut out I could check for a spark and sure enough it didn't have one but on this particular morning the bloody thing just didn't want to start again. I got the bike home eventually, lost a days work mind you, and I checked the resistance across the connectors on the pick up coil. apparently you should be getting around 600 ohms when all is good, I did get the bike started and when the engine was warmed up I was getting a reading of around 770 ohms so I changed the pick up coil and sure enough the old bugger runs lovely again.

Pick up coils are cheap as chicken nuggets and incredibly easy to change so there's a good chance this is the issue you are having with your bike.

Take a look at this, its the ignition sensor

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. It's not the CDI, and it doesn't appear to be the coil. I've had the TTP BlueFire CDI and coil on for a few years now, but I kept the stock parts; I put the stock parts back on this morning, and still nothing. No spark. I used a multimeter and checked both the red (positive) wire that plugs into the coil, and it has continuity to the positive terminal of the battery. I checked the yellow/black wire that plugs into the coil (negative) and it has continuity to it's other end at the CDI.

I don't know where else to check now. I was really banking on it being either one of those things.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, well, well. I guess ya'll were right about the CPS. It appears that it broke off its bracket and got chewed up a bit. That explains why it wouldn't start after cooling down like others had.

IMG_6172.jpg

New one on the way.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Glad to see that you have got it sorted. Thanks for posting the outcome. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts