Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've just bought a 2001 bonneville with a slipping clutch. Was hoping it would be incorrect oil or at worst replace clutch springs or plates. I've removed the clutch cover and found some parts that don't seem to fit correctly and I think they may be from two different clutches from two different year models of hinkley motors.

The first 3 photos are out of a Haynes Workshop manual and are what I believe to the correct pushrod seat for my clutch. Picture number 4 is the pushrod that I removed from my clutch as I believe it to be the wrong part as it does not fit snugly at all in the bearing plate, it's more like "a sausage down a hallway"

My Bonneville is a 2001 Bonneville,
VIN SMTTJ900TM1121099
Engine no. T121513
It's a 790cc

I'm not sure what's previously been done to the bike as it is new to me and has come to me with a slipping clutch. It's possible that is has the incorrect bearing plate but correct pushrod for the year. If this is the case I may even have another problem, that the hollow shaft that sits behind won't have the correct diameter hole to accept the end of the pushrod.

Any insightful tips are greatfully appreciated! My local triumph dealer doesnt seem like much help as they're parts schematics are all the same pictures for all the years just different part numbers between the 2001 and 2002 (2002 has 2 different parts numbers depending on date in that year or engine size or something?)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Smarter people will be along shortly and photo #4 is hard to make out. But that push rod should be a somewhat loose fit. You should be able to easily pluck it out and in with your finger tips.

·
Registered
257 Posts
First, how many miles are on the bike?
Second, what kind of mods does the bike have?
Third, the push rod is supposed to be loose fitting.
When these bikes are modded the clutches tend slip due to weak clutch springs. I would wager the clutch springs are the issue. Changing out the stock ones for Barnett Green Springs is the solution. These are the ones you want
And here is a thread to help http://www.triumphrat.net/air-coole...h-springs-without-dumping-the-engine-oil.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. The diameter of the pushrod is 10mm and the diameter of the opening in the bearing is about 16mm so there's definitely way too much play. I know it's not meant to be tight but it's not lose from wear it's lose from one of those two parts being mismatched I just don't know which one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and I'be installed new Barnett hd plates and green springs since I was given them for free from the previous owner as he had them unopened from another Bonneville of his. Just haven't run it yet because I know it's not going to work properly with those ill-fitting parts. The old plates looked fine but I figured I'd change them all anyway while I'm there as I'm not sure how long the clutch had been slipping. The bike has 44 thousand kms on it

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I replaced my clutch at 65K with OEM components on my 2001. Stick to real JASO approved oil.Non JASO oil will foul your frictions. 2001s had some minor clutch issues...chatter and sticking plates...then were fixed on later models I strongly recommend replacing all the gaskets, o rings and especially the breather seal.

I also strongly recommend the TRIUMPH Tool for alignment. I screwed up pressure plate and drum when I misaligned things the first time. This was a blessing in disguise...Replaced the damaged parts with good used ones and upgraded to the later bearing. The later bearing significantly reduced lever effort. The tool makes the alignment breeze.

Get a Triumph shop manual...its better then aftermarket

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Huh?

So, I've just bought a 2001 bonneville with a slipping clutch. Was hoping it would be incorrect oil or at worst replace clutch springs or plates. I've removed the clutch cover and found some parts that don't seem to fit correctly and I think they may be from two different clutches from two different year models of hinkley motors.

I'm not sure what's previously been done to the bike as it is new to me and has come to me with a slipping clutch. It's possible that is has the incorrect bearing plate but correct pushrod for the year. If this is the case I may even have another problem, that the hollow shaft that sits behind won't have the correct diameter hole to accept the end of the pushrod.

Mr. DirtyTwin,

I took these photos from my friends 01 when we put in a SafeStart.
Certainly, on his bike the small end of the pushrod/bullet locates in the cover bore, and not into the bearing. It does seem that you have mismatched parts. Wish I could help more.

The third picture is of my 06 damper that I removed, and a re-design of the pushrod.

Namaste
Charles

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Mr. DirtyTwin,

Certainly, on his bike the small end of the pushrod/bullet locates in the cover bore, and not into the bearing. It does seem that you have mismatched parts. Wish I could help more.

The third picture is of my 06 damper that I removed, and a re-design of the pushrod.

Namaste
Charles
Do a search. Early Bonnevilles (Prefire I believe)have a different push rod set ups and release bearing then later bikes. I don't recall all the changes.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Have a look at bike bandit, it would seem there was a cpouple of different clutch diffs at a # higher than yours.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Have a look at bike bandit, it would seem there was a cpouple of different clutch diffs at a # higher than yours.
I'd go to Hermy's to look. Bike Bandit uses their part own #'s. Hermy's uses Triumph numbers. That makes it much easier. Plus they are a Triumph dealer.

Charles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced my clutch at 65K with OEM components on my 2001. Stick to real JASO approved oil.Non JASO oil will foul your frictions. 2001s had some minor clutch issues...chatter and sticking plates...then were fixed on later models I strongly recommend replacing all the gaskets, o rings and especially the breather seal.

I also strongly recommend the TRIUMPH Tool for alignment. I screwed up pressure plate and drum when I misaligned things the first time. This was a blessing in disguise...Replaced the damaged parts with good used ones and upgraded to the later bearing. The later bearing significantly reduced lever effort. The tool makes the alignment breeze.

Get a Triumph shop manual...its better then aftermarket

Do you know which parts I need to replace to update the clutch to solve the issues? Either the common issues or my particular "parts don't match" issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mr. DirtyTwin,

Namaste
Charles

What does Huh refer to?

Now I'm confused. Your photo seems to imply that the pushrod has a different use and position entirely. Do you not agree with the black and white photos that I took from the Haynes manual? I can only see one photo you uploaded and there doesn't appear to be any more

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do a search. Early Bonnevilles (Prefire I believe)have a different push rod set ups and release bearing then later bikes. I don't recall all the changes.
I've tried searching this forum but either can't get any results or I get all kinds of results from all the triumphrat forums when I use terms too broad. I'm new to this forum. Do you have any tips on how to successfully search this? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies people. I'm still trying to solve the question of which parts are incorrect so that I may order the necessary replacement parts. If anyone has any pointers on this they would be greatly appreciated. My bike is parked until I can sort this out and it's killing me!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When I look at the two exploded clutch diagrams below the "PFKL1198419 CLUTCH LIFTER PIECE. SPIGOT 14" in the first diagram, the 14 might refer to it's diameter. The second clutch diagram simply says "PFKL2302991 SPIGOT, LIFTER PIECE, CLUTCH" and might be the narrower spigot that you have.
Just a wild guess though.
There's a gentleman genius on this forum named Forchetto that might be able to help it you can get his attention.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I look at the two exploded clutch diagrams below the "PFKL1198419 CLUTCH LIFTER PIECE. SPIGOT 14" in the first diagram, the 14 might refer to it's diameter. The second clutch diagram simply says "PFKL2302991 SPIGOT, LIFTER PIECE, CLUTCH" and might be the narrower spigot that you have.
Just a wild guess though.
There's a gentleman genius on this forum named Forchetto that might be able to help it you can get his attention.
What diagrams are you referring to?

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Now I'm confused. Your photo seems to imply that the pushrod has a different use and position entirely. Do you not agree with the black and white photos that I took from the Haynes manual? I can only see one photo you uploaded and there doesn't appear to be any more
Sorry DT, I had to move the other picture to a recent crankcase breather thread. TRN won't allow the same photo to be posted in different places.?

I can say that the small end of the release pushrod locates in the clutch arm pivot shaft. So it goes into the cast in bore in the cover, not into the release bearing of the clutch. At least on the ones that I have worked on. I've never had the pleasure of going further into a modern bonnie clutch.
The Haynes manual has been known to be wrong.

Charles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry DT, I had to move the other picture to a recent crankcase breather thread. TRN won't allow the same photo to be posted in different places.?

I can say that the small end of the release pushrod locates in the clutch arm pivot shaft. So it goes into the cast in bore in the cover, not into the release bearing of the clutch. At least on the ones that I have worked on. I've never had the pleasure of going further into a modern bonnie clutch.
The Haynes manual has been known to be wrong.

Charles
Okay, so are you saying that you believe I'm MISSING the lifter spigot that goes in the centre of the bearing plate and that the pushrod that i do have doesn't go in the centre of the bearing plate but sits in the clutch arm pivot shaft?

This may make the most sense. That the assembly doesnt have mismatched parts but one missing part (the spigot lifter) and that if they vary between years it can't vary by much.

Unless I hear back from anyone here, I'm going to order the spigot lifter from triumph tomorrow. I'll have them pick the part number based off my engine number and VIN

Thanks endoscopy I think (and hope) that this is the correct answer!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'd say hold off a bit, there must be someone else that can help you more than me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts