Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about half an hour my thumbs hurt. Its not vibration, there's something not right about the angle of the handlebars - I think maybe they angle inwards too much.

Anyone know of an easy swap for something same height and width but bit straighter (don't like dead straight drag bars or the drag bars with pull back).

Ta

·
Registered
206 Posts
Uh oh. I was thinking to put a set of TBS bars on my Legend. the Legend bars seem too high, wide and pulled back. The TBS bars look more agressive and less lounge chair. How do they work with Lgend seat height and peg locations. Will I be logging questions about how to avoid numb hands and such?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Pay attention to your tank to bar clearance (generally the controls tend to hit first). You can buy different bends for ~$20 at most shops. Do a parking lot check if possible.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My right hand goes dead if I don't ride with gloves. if I use gloves I'm OK. The biggest ***** I have is the rear view mirrors don't clear my shoulders. I have to pull my shoulder to one side to see behind me!!! Bloody PITA on a long trip.
I've always been going to get [about] 4" wider bars, same shape etc just wider to set the mirrors further out, one day when I'm not too busy doing other stuff I'll get to it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
TBS bars are fine on my TBird. No clearance problems.
I found the TBird bars are too laid back as well.

Also check that the bars are lined up with the punch mark as per the Haynes manual. I found that slight variations back and forward make a significant difference in comfort depending on your riding position and style.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
On 2007-03-09 17:58, BellEnd wrote:
After about half an hour my thumbs hurt. Its not vibration, there's something not right about the angle of the handlebars - I think maybe they angle inwards too much.

Anyone know of an easy swap for something same height and width but bit straighter (don't like dead straight drag bars or the drag bars with pull back).

Ta
Sounds to me like a simple case of gripping the bars too tight. Relax your grip shoudl be very gentle almost like resting your hands on the bars. Dont rest your weight on your arms either support your upper body weight with your back

Gripping tight can cause all sorts of problems like poor riding style, and numb or painful hands.

[ This message was edited by: MickMaguire on 2007-03-11 10:37 ]

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Try rotating your bars front or back (keep in mind you will need to check clearance to tabnk if you ratate your bars back.)
Get some bar end mirrors. No more shoulders in view!

·
Registered
844 Posts
You should be able to ride with relaxed arms; generally that means something in the range of 90 degrees in your elbow joint. That might mean a lot different consideration in how your feet fit (try riding with your feet on the rear pegs as a trial for fit -- even with your ankles hooked over them). We all make compromises to fit ourselves to our bikes. Handlebars is the very cheapest thing to change. I put taller bolts in my risers and stacked washers under them to raise my bars (superbar bend) on my short risers. Helped a fair amount, as did rotating the bars to take pressure off of my outer palms (pressure point pain). Exercising (oy!) to increase your 'core' strength will let you relax your arms/grip as well.

Riding with your muscles engaged (rigid) takes a lot of control away from you. Nick Ienatsch wrote a sport riding book that explained it well. I am sure others have covered it too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts