Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
h all:

looking at a 2000 TRIUMPH THUNDERBIRD Sport for sale. tons of mods/upgrades. he is asking $5000. Nada says $990-$1,305; KBB says $4375. what would you pay for it?

some of the add-ons:

1.Racetech suspension
2. Trucklite 7" led low and high beam
3. All display lights are LED
4.aftermarket pipes
5.CRG bar en mirrors.
7. Custom led Blinkers
8. Custom Fender Eliminator kit with duel led brake light
9. Custom Paintwork on single seat and TBS bikini Fairing
10. Airbox removal and K&N Pod filters
12. Carbs completely ultrasonically cleaned and re-jetted to match the mufflers and pods
13. Dyno reading is at 82HP at the rear wheel

·
Registered
110 Posts
The mods don't really add any value. Realistically, that's a $4000 - $4500 bike if it's low miles, clean and he's got the parts to put it back to stock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
This guy is a frequent user in this forum. Search him up. Or ask for his username. Seems like a pretty good guy to me, based on IG and here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Know the seller really well, if you like what is done to the bike, then go for it. He has had it for sale for a long time but that was more so because he was asking too much for it ($8000 at one time). Mechanically the bike is sound.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It really only matters what it’s worth to the person buying it. For me, I wouldn’t hesitate to pay that, it’s one of the nicest I’ve seen. And the TBS will hold its value more than most. But bikes aren’t an investment they’re for enjoyment. I wouldn’t part with mine for any amount, it will be my sons when I can’t ride anymore. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree, aftermarket bolt ons only adds value if you like them. So it's ultimately up to you what you think its worth. Don't know what Nada is, but don't think you can find even the Regular TB/Legend/Adventurer for $990-$1,305 anywhere in the world. That said, I don't know the market where you live. I've seen 2 stock TBS where I live, €6,000 and €7,000. They never gets sold though, probably adds been out 2 years or more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, aftermarket bolt ons only adds value if you like them. So it's ultimately up to you what you think its worth. Don't know what Nada is, but don't think you can find even the Regular TB/Legend/Adventurer for $990-$1,305 anywhere in the world. That said, I don't know the market where you live. I've seen 2 stock TBS where I live, €6,000 and €7,000. They never gets sold though, probably adds been out 2 years or more.
thank you very much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you!
thanks. i agree that they value if i like them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It really only matters what it’s worth to the person buying it. For me, I wouldn’t hesitate to pay that, it’s one of the nicest I’ve seen. And the TBS will hold its value more than most. But bikes aren’t an investment they’re for enjoyment. I wouldn’t part with mine for any amount, it will be my sons when I can’t ride anymore. Good luck whatever you decide.
appreciate the reply. of course, you are right about that. Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Know the seller really well, if you like what is done to the bike, then go for it. He has had it for sale for a long time but that was more so because he was asking too much for it ($8000 at one time). Mechanically the bike is sound.
i appreciate the insight. Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mods don't really add any value. Realistically, that's a $4000 - $4500 bike if it's low miles, clean and he's got the parts to put it back to stock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
thank you for the insight. Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
11 Posts
HAHA. My thoughts exactly regarding how much someone would be willing to pay for this triumph. I remember coming across this beauty before the classifieds section was removed from me. I almost reached out to Zee9 with the offer I had in mind. (Zee9, I believe its yours if I remember correctly. Sorry if not)

I personally bit my tongue knowing I didn't wanted to offend the owner. You could tell a lot of love went into it. At 5k though, I feel like it's closely priced to many other options out there. If I see him list it for a grand less I think he would find a new owner very quickly. 😁

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
HAHA. My thoughts exactly regarding how much someone would be willing to pay for this triumph. I remember coming across this beauty before the classifieds section was removed from me. I almost reached out to Zee9 with the offer I had in mind. (Zee9, I believe its yours if I remember correctly. Sorry if not)

I personally bit my tongue knowing I didn't wanted to offend the owner. You could tell a lot of love went into it. At 5k though, I feel like it's closely priced to many other options out there. If I see him list it for a grand less I think he would find a new owner very quickly.
Yes she (Emma) is mine. Unfortunately/fortunately that’s the price. At 8k like she was priced earlier I was very negotiable. For the $30 insurance that I pay, (the heated garage is included in my rent) id rather just keep her as a trophy of what i did in my younger years.

She still gives me a very very large grin every time I ride her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
So,
I kind of disagree with most of you about upgrades adding value. All the mods done are what most every one on this board does or wants to do to their bikes, very few seem to like a bone stock bike. The cost of the flyscreen and seat cowl with paint was probably close to a grand. The head light was 140 or so and race tech stuff probably similar and exhaust cans aren't cheap. Probably the cheapest upgrade is the led bulbs. There is probably about $2500 worth of upgrades so you go buy a stock bike which will cost you at least $3500 (which I have never seen advertised that cheap by the way) and then do all the same up grades and you are probably into $7000 or more so who ever buys this bike is getting a deal, all the work is done... just ride it.
bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts