Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago my 2000 Triumph Sprint ST wasn’t starting. Turns out I needed a new battery and a new solenoid. I replaced both but now when I go to start the bike all I get is a click and the headlights cut off when I press the starter button. I’m getting good voltage to the solenoid and it’ll start if I short it with a screwdriver. The horn works and I can’t seem to find where there’s a shortage in the wires IF there’s a shortage in the wires. I’m stuck on where to go from here. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Seems that you have a problem w/ your clutch lever switch. Try to clean it first.

Do you actually see 12V on the solenoid command terminals when you press the start switch?

Fred

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems that you have a problem w/ your clutch lever switch. Try to clean it first.

Do you actually see 12V on the solenoid command terminals when you press the start switch?

Fred
Haven’t checked the clutch lever switch. When I check the voltages I get 12.4 on battery and solenoid terminals. When I press the starter switch voltages go up to 12.9 on the solenoid...no idea why it would increase.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Haven’t checked the clutch lever switch. When I check the voltages I get 12.4 on battery and solenoid terminals. When I press the starter switch voltages go up to 12.9 on the solenoid...no idea why it would increase.
Isn't it because you lights are switched off?
I am speaking of the command pins. Not the switched pins regarding the voltage.

Fred

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't it because you lights are switched off?
I am speaking of the command pins. Not the switched pins regarding the voltage.

Fred
Yeah looks like I’m getting the right voltages and resistance everywhere. Checked the clutch switch and headlight cutout relay and those seem to be working fine. Makes sense why voltage increases with the headlights cutting out.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Still there is this infamous crimp in the left handlebar sheath?

But you didn't answer to this precise question:
Do you get the right voltage on the solenoid command pins when you press the starter button?

Fred

·
Registered
77 Posts
Headlight shut off relay is good, clutch safety switch is good, and I just replaced the solenoid. I’m at a loss, and it’s a 955i
o.k.
seems to me 955 also have relay before solenoid, it should be relay with 5-pins, could you please test it with new one?
at my local market cost is about 2$ not expensive for testing purposes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Still there is this infamous crimp in the left handlebar sheath?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtuqVCDj3vA&feature=youtu.be

But you didn't answer to this precise question:
Do you get the right voltage on the solenoid command pins when you press the starter button?

Fred
I will check the command pins when I get off of work tomorrow. Ive been checking the bolts where the solenoid makes connection to ground and battery. I'm not savvy when it comes to electrical engineering or mechanic work period, so all this is learning opportunity for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also if that crimp on the left handlebar was bad then my horn wouldn’t work right? Because my horn is functional

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where did you find this diagram Fred? This could be very useful for me, also are there labels saying what each number is? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts