Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have had my 2000 Sprint 955i for about 6 months. It had only done about 3000 miles when i got it and i have done about 2000 miles on it since with no trouble. I have also changed all the fluids and greased the rear wheel bearing.

I don't ride much in the UK winter but regularly start it up and its on a battery tender.

This week I started it and it ran fine for a while. The idle then started to get a little rough and it died and won't start. It turns over fine and the battery (a few month old) seems fully charged. When I crank the engine light and fuel light come on and pulse - not sure if that is normal?

I suspect the fuel system. I have changed the fuel filter. The fuel pump makes a whine and then stops when i turn on the ignition - I assume that is priming and so its working ok. Also fuel came out under pressure when I disconnected the return hose and turned on the ignitition. I believe there is a spark because when I sprayed some starting fluid into the air intake it fired.

Any suggestions as to what I should look at next? My guess is any problems might be related to the fact that it has been standing for a long time over the last 20 years. Im new to bikes this complex - all of my previous experience is on aircooled bikes with carbs so all suggestions very welcome.

TIA

·
Registered
354 Posts
Maybe stale fuel? Try syphoning the fuel from the tank and adding fresh stuff before you do anything else.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What they said, probably old gas.
It's best not to start the bike unless you're going for a long enough ride to thoroughly warm up the engine. I figure 15 mile round trip to be the minimum. Condensation turns the oil into a brownish goo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts