Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bike was running rough and surging. I took it to the shop and the #1 throttle body gasket needed to be replaced. That did help considerably. Still a slight surge, just not as bad. I could live with it considering I dont have much cash to spend on my bike at the moment. The shop being conscious of my limited funds did a great job of dealing with the most prominent problem. Great shop and a really good bunch of guys.

Now what had happened once or twice before was that I would shift down into 1st gear, clutch in and the revs would hang at 2000 rpm. I give a blip, still no change. Give a little more of an aggressive blip. still no change in the rpm. As I release the clutch the rpm's go back to normal. That was before taking it into the shop. All was good up until today. just under a week later. RPM's hang at the same place.

I store my bike in my living room at night. every night. It is starting to get warmer out but I still like my bike inside to keep it warm at night. Now what is happening is the bike will not start "without holding the throttle" and I know this is considered a big NO NO. I have no other option. The bike is my only source of transportation. What I have been doing is holding the idle at about 1300 to 1500 rpm's while warming up. once the bike is warm, I shut it off and wait for about 1/2 hour. then go back out and start it with out holding the throttle. It does start at that point with out assistance. Because I did need to hold the throttle the first time, what I have been doing also is after the cool down and re-start I will let it idle to the point were the fan kicks in, let it run for a few seconds then turn it off. let the fan do its thing and then wait for 10 min or so before riding. Just to reset the computer? I read it here on the site that it kinda does a re-boot type thing?

Ok. so.... thats whats going on with my most awesome, super cool, wicked bike. Any ideas of what could be the cause of these issues?

I have done a search, heck I have done lots of searches on many subjects and I do remember reading something about this. but the out come was that "the guy" took it to the shop and they hooked it up and fixed the prob. no mention of what the prob was are how it was fixed. So before requesting others time in helping me, I have tried to find the solution. I do appreciate the time taken to read and replay. thank you in advance.

Shawn

PS: I forgot to mention that I have checked the chain and it is at 38.1mm. I am going to re-check it to make sure that I checked it at its tightest spot. Needed to buy a 1" 1/16th socket in order to adjust it if need be. just picked it up today.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Shawn, other than basics, I'd have to say you might have to take her back to the MC shop. But before you do, make sure you've checked all the obvious stuff that plays a big role:

-Air filter, and air box (I found a mouse nest in mine that was causing the bike to run very rough!)
-Fuel filter (this is located in the fuel tank, but is doable for a DIY.. just remember to buy a new gasket for the cover plate)
-Air leaks between air box and throttle bodies
-spark plugs replaced

Other than that, cant help you too much, but it's worth checking these things if you havent! good luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Take it to the shop and have them check for codes and do a diagnostic. sounds like it might be the throttle position sensor needs re setting. Starting with the throttle turned has "confused" the ECU. The way you have been starting it has probably made things worse. The high idle speeds might be indicative of the same problem. Dealer might do it for free if he is a really nice guy.

At this point. it might be wise to change the plugs and while the tank is off, do the filters as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Assuming you have no hang-up of the throttle cable:

Check the hoses between the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) & the TB's - most likely you may have cracks/leaks, especially at that age, worth checking them thoroughly.
You can also try removing the ISCV and giving it a good cleaning, ensure it is not sticking, replace the 'o' ring (item #2).

The ISCV IS the idle speed control - tries to adjust the rpm by controlling the amount of air it feeds into the TBs bypassing the closed throttles; if there is any external leak on any of the hoses between the IACV and the individual TB's (or across the valve itself) then the ECM cannot reduce the amount of air going to the idle air intakes.

Doubtful if TPS issue; Throttle plates should be closed, so more air than desired is getting into TB's. Again, first & foremost need to be sure that the throttle plates are actually closing and not hung up due to sticky cable.

Bottom line - you have an air leak somewhere (obviously the gasket would be another source however I am surprised this would be an issue - not something likely to fail) The other odd thing is whay they would say #1 TB gasket - it's one gasket for all three TB's
They obviously had a mis-diagnosis since problem still there!

Can only be hoses or the valve itself.

Top half only of schematic below is what you're interested in - the hoses 5 & 6 are what you're interested in and of course valve itself (#1) & the 'o'ring (#2)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your input. This gives me a really good idea of what I should be focusing on. it helps for sure.

Is there a preferable product that should be used for cleaning ISCV?

Spint NOOBY
Shawn

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Just carb/injector cleaner

Take a good look at that o-ring - of course it's probably not available off-the-shelf from dealer, but have them get one. At buck & half I would just replace it!
Make sure all those hose have tight fitting on their spigots - if any loose, cut a few mm off the end of the tube & re-install.

If you have any doubt about the condition of the hoses, just replace them - a good vac hose in the right size from auto parts store will work fine.

Note that TB gasket (#2) is common to all three - don't know what they were talking about saying replaced #1

Make sure no-one got lazy and just removed #1 TB and cut the gasket to just replace that part!
I'd be pretty PO'd if I found they had done that.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
....Because I did need to hold the throttle the first time, what I have been doing also is after the cool down and re-start I will let it idle to the point were the fan kicks in, let it run for a few seconds then turn it off. let the fan do its thing and then wait for 10 min or so before riding. Just to reset the computer? I read it here on the site that it kinda does a re-boot type thing?...
Yours doesn't work like that - there's no O2 sensor in the exhaust and no trim for that.
The ECM will simply read the engine speed and adjust the ISCV to get the correct idle speed - once 'warm' it will do that quite quickly.

But that actually gave me another thought - especially since your cold-start is not good and you need to hold throttle open until warmed up.
You may have a bad (or intermittant) coolant sensor - does this work normally on your bike (as per display - anything unusual going on there?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may have a bad (or intermittant) coolant sensor - does this work normally on your bike (as per display - anything unusual going on there?)
running temp appears to be working ok. normal temp is 82 and the fan kicks in at 101. i am low on coolant and plan on draining the rad and adding fresh coolant.

BTW: that Schematic is great. thank you for all the help.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Thank you DEcosse

Hey thanks DEcosse:)

I knew all that myself of course..............NOT:eek:

We appreciate your technical helpfulness here:)

I probably don't say stuff like this often enough.

Cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i havent opened a new theme cause issue with my RS could be very similar, newer the less it looks bit different.

Bike stats superbly, but after it wormes up idle hangs up on 2000 rpm. But when some gear is switch on and the cluth is on the revs goes down to 1200rpm like they should be.
I add just that everything was ok till the day before yesterday when I made about 40 miles in realy heavy rain but leter everything was still ok. But yesterday morning when I started the engine I found this issue.

Can anyone give me any indicates what is happening with it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts