Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I need to do my first post here...

I bought this RS a couple of weeks ago with 26k miles. I prefer the way this bike rides compared to the 2002 Sprint ST I bought new 10 years ago.

Too bad I have to rev it to 4k RPM just to leave every stop light.Otherwise is dies/stalls. From what I understand it could be the coolant temp sensor, TPS, stepper motor, or the IACS.

This is one underrated bike and now I realize this is the one I should have bought back in 02.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I couldn't agree more about the bike. I bought a Sprint RS new in 2000, and it served me well for 54,000 miles in 6 years of weekend riding.

At about 38,000 miles I put a Penske rear shock on the rear and had GMD Computrack put in Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valve Emulators. That suspension upgrade made a good bike great!

You might be able to get a diagnosis with a cable and TuneECU software, though a trip to a dealer could also get the problem identified.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a little spooked when I read this generation of engine was prone to crankshaft failure. I wonder if it is as common as the internet suggests. Yours seems like it held up just fine.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That is certainly NOT a common, or even infrequent happening. Rare, if at all. At the time I owned my new one (I still have one of the same year, but it's not the one I bought new), I had many friends with the same bike, or the Sprint ST, or various Speed Triples, Daytonas, and Tigers with the same basic motor. None I know of had any such failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts