Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my Sprint 955 RS was sitting for five years in a heated garage. Jumped the battery and it ran, blew nuts and seeds out of the exhaust when it fired up. Lots of mouse mattresses under seat. With the fuel being so old I thought I’d pull the tank and also clean the rest of the mouse mess in there. Put the tank back on (didn’t fit anymore, no surprise it got long) now it will only fire when on the start button. Like it’s trying to run but can’t get enough fuel. It’s getting enough to fire a bit but as soon as I let off starter button it’s done. I obviously did something stupid when I had the tank off. I only disconnected the fuel line quick disconnects, the vents, pressure reg hose, fuel pump connection and reserve light connection. The fuel pump runs when key is on, however it doesn’t seem as loud as it used to be but I’m not certain of that. Pulled fuel line with key on and has steady flow of fuel. Why didn’t I just run that old fuel through it?? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While you've got the airbox off it's probably worth checking the IAVC hoses are still good and there are no air leaks - if they're still originals they can deteriorate with age and might be on their way out even if they're not the cause of the immediate problem(however I've recently done a throttle-body balance on my ST and it really, really didn't want to start with the IAVC hoses disconnected...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Open up your airbox too - it will undoubtedly also have mouse nest in there given the other locations - VERY common for them to shelter/build inside the airbox
That’s a good idea, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While you've got the airbox off it's probably worth checking the IAVC hoses are still good and there are no air leaks - if they're still originals they can deteriorate with age and might be on their way out even if they're not the cause of the immediate problem(however I've recently done a throttle-body balance on my ST and it really, really didn't want to start with the IAVC hoses disconnected...)
Thanks for your help. I’ll give that a go. It looked like most of the hoses were pretty old/dry, including the coolant hoses. Given the time of year I thought I’d just put it back together and try to get some riding in and then do a proper service over the winter. Well, that hasn’t worked out so well 🙂. I’m kicking myself for not just letting everything alone and burn up the old gas instead of removing the tank. Seems like I must have accidentally done something wrong when I was cleaning down in there with the tank off. If this one won’t run, I have an old Bonneville I can start wrestling with 😂. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
You don't mention whether you have the metal quick-connects on the fuel hoses. If you don't have two pairs (male/female), you really need to get them. Many threads on the topic.

The nylon bits WILL break - it's just a question of 'when'.

Your IACV hoses are almost certainly shot - the rubber 'connectors' at each end of the corrugated vinyl rot to bits. Replace all four (including the atmospheric sensor to the ECM) with 6MM/ 1/4" vacuum hose. Note that one port of the IACV is a dummy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts