Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a picture, or know where I can find one of the fuel line routing on the side of the tank. Had the tank off for some time now and I don't recall the exact routing. Right now the high pressure line is jammed up against the frame and just doesn't look right.

On top of that I broke the return line quick disconnect:brick:

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Super Moderator
22,143 Posts
Did you break the free one (on the hose) #21 or the fixed one #7 on the fuel pump?

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Triumph/TR-0606-1556.gif

I'm assuming you broke the female dry-break one, not the male? (item 28 or 29 on following)

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Triumph/TR-0606-1557.gif

The male ones were originally plastic and should have been replaced on recall with metal ones. The female-dry-breaks are still plastic from Triumph - know you can get metal #7, not sure about the other one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did you break the free one (on the hose) #21 or the fixed one #7 on the fuel pump?

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Triumph/TR-0606-1556.gif

I'm assuming you broke the female dry-break one, not the male? (item 28 or 29 on following)

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Triumph/TR-0606-1557.gif

The male ones were originally plastic and should have been replaced on recall with metal ones. The female-dry-breaks are still plastic from Triumph - know you can get metal #7, not sure about the other one.
Looks like I broke the male end of the free line and the piece is still stuck in the female end. The picture helps of the routing too, but the frame is slightly different

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Good info DEcosse. Thanks for the help :)

·
Super Moderator
22,143 Posts
...Thanks for the help :)
I'm obligated - his sister makes me! :p
(she has influence!)

Talking with DaBrew earlier this evening it seems like the original plastic male fittings on his bike were never replaced under recall!
(this bike has been out of commission for 5 years, but still surprising it hadn't been done beforehand!)
So we can't really blame him for this misfortune - probably better now than later, when it might be more critical
Short term fix is just to replace (both!) those plastic male fittings (a la recall) and can think about the dry-breaks as a future preventive measure.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here is another pic of the routing on my RS
Seems that the fuel hoses are routed a bit differently, maybe due to frame differences from the Daytona/S3

I also just noticed that the left side fittings are reversed from the DEcosse pic!

·
Super Moderator
22,143 Posts
...I also just noticed that the left side fittings are reversed from the DEcosse pic!
Not actually my pic chef - yes, that's interesting that they are reversed! That is also a Sprint (ST) not an S3/Daytona - that latter pair have two fixed dry-breaks directly on the pump rather than the hose connection of the Sprints
Yours is same vintage & model as DaBrew chef so would think that would be the model to follow in this case.
I can see why they maybe reversed them (later models?) to give more room at the frame from the fixed dry-break.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is another pic of the routing on my RS
Seems that the fuel hoses are routed a bit differently, maybe due to frame differences from the Daytona/S3

I also just noticed that the left side fittings are reversed from the DEcosse pic!
Thanks, that is just the picture I was looking for. Still had a bit of trouble getting it routed correctly, think I had it intertwined with some other hoses, so I just started from scratch and got it routed right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New male fittings work out OK then?
Lets just say I made them fit. Part that goes into the hose is too small, so I had to use a regular hose clamp to keep it from leaking. Guess I'll be getting the correct size later on

·
Super Moderator
22,143 Posts
Lets just say I made them fit. Part that goes into the hose is too small, so I had to use a regular hose clamp to keep it from leaking. Guess I'll be getting the correct size later on
Now that I look at the parts listing, the T509 fittings are 6mm
On the Sprint they are 8mm on return and 10mm on the supply (you can even see that difference in the pic above).

chefjpd - those (male sides) look like they are still the plastic - are they?
If so, they should certainly be replaced. Actually should be done under recall at no charge by dealer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That pic I took was when I just got the bike and did a teardown photo shoot.
I have since replaced all the fittings with a set from Team triumph. They are so lovely that it seems a shame to hide them.
Next time the plastic is off, I'll take a pic for comparison in future posts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that I look at the parts listing, the T509 fittings are 6mm
On the Sprint they are 8mm on return and 10mm on the supply (you can even see that difference in the pic above).
But it's close enough to make it work for now and be able to run the engine. Guess I could get the recall done eventually after it's ride able

1 - 15 of 15 Posts