Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upstate NY. 2000 Legend 41k miles.
Went out and pulled the cover off today after being up for 3 winter months. Eyeballed everything, then flicked the starter. Engine turned, no start. Fair enough, it's been a long winter. Tried again but this time when I let off the starter button with no engine start, it continued to crank! I stabbed the button a few times, no luck. Turned the key off, also no luck. Ended up pulling the battery ground off. Any ideas? Just a stuck switch that needs cleaning?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Your starter solenoid is probably shot. It's located under the rear of the fuel tank. Just follow the positive lead from the battery.

It's possible that the starter button has stuck internally but appears to work normally -- not very common.

Whacking the starter motor with a hammer will do nothing except perhaps damage the starter since there's no internal solenoid. Instead, there's a sprag clutch that functions sort of like the old-fashioned Bendix drive.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
That would definitely be 1st candidate, but the solenoid is separate on these, just fwd of the battery under the seat. (Really just a big relay - main terminals are studs, coil pair is smaller spade type lugs.) If the key didn't stop it, sounds like the solenoid main contacts have welded together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll look into the solenoid. I really wasn't to the point of whacking the starter yet. :) I've already replaced one and am not in a hurry to do it again. I guess being that the key didn't kill it, the switch is probably not the culprit?

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stuck Starter

I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago when I was on my way home from work, 40 miles from home. Rather than leave the bike beside the freeway during rush hour, I drove it home with the starter running most of the way. Needless to say, I need to replace my starter now. Jimmy told me exactly what the problem was. Thanks again.
John

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I concur - soleniod as first suspect - starter switch as second - wiring short as third.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I replaced the solenoid, put the battery back in, flicked the starter and....the dreaded click, click, click from under the seat. Could the solenoid really have toasted the starter in the short time it took to get the seat off and pull the battery ground? I replaced the starter two years ago and am easy on it, clutch in, etc. Not looking forward to doing it again. The battery is two years old but I don't think it's the problem.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
It sounds like the voltage is collapsing as the circuit is loaded by the starter itself. Poor battery condition/charge or poor connection somewhere is your 1st tack. Recheck the earth connections too. By trying it with a voltmeter connected at the different parts of the circuit (battery 1st) you may get some idea where the volt drop is ocurring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the battery on the tender while I waited for the solenoid to come in, but it was a little older than I remembered (3 years old) so I sprung for a new one. Same click at the solenoid. I am an absolute novice at anything electrical, testing, chasing, etc. Could someone give me an idea of where and, as importantly, how I go about looking for the problem? Tools, meters, etc I'll need? The solenoid install was a fairly easy swap out, so I'm not sure what I could have messed up. I've checked the connections at the solenoid for tightness.
Thanks again for you help, it's much appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check the connections to the starter. There might be a loose connection... My knowledge of Triumphs electric is zero, but with knowledge based my ex-cars guides to that way.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
To recap: You began with a stuck solenoid, replaced it and reported a 'click, click, click' from under the seat. Multiple solenoid clicks (ratcheting) is a symptom of a weak or under-charged battery.

What I understand now is that there's only a single 'click' when you push the start button. Correct?

If so, then the extended running of the starter has probably ground the brushes down to nothing and/or damaged the starter commutator.

Check by shorting across the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver. (MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL!!!) Either there will be a large spark and the starter will crank normally, or not. If there's no spark and no crank, then your starter brushes are used up or the starter is wrecked.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct on the recap above.
I laid a screwdriver across the terminals and got nothing, no spark, no crank, so I guess it's the starter again. Anyone have a line on reasonable priced starters lately? I remember them being fairly scarce when I went thru this exercise two years ago.
Thanks again for the help and advice.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts