Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to rejet my Keihin CVK carbs (2000 Legend) with #125 jets. I've read a few threads about different brands of jet kits. Anyone have part numbers?

Any instructions on how to perform this task? Any tricks or quarks I should know about?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'm going to move this to the Classic Triples forum. My first thought is that that size jet is too large for a blue cam bike, and my second thought is that Keihin and Dynojet size numbers are totally different and Mikuni jets won't fit.

FYI, the Dynojet kits usually cost over $100, while individual jets from Keihin should be under $5 each.

At any rate, the Classics crowd should get you sorted.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mike. That link is exactly where I looked when trying to find the best jets for my setup. It seems the pod filters work best with #125 jets from what I have read.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Local bike shop only had #127.5 jets. Close enough. I have the bike back together and she idols very nicely. I just run to the store and back to test it out. Runs much better. I even found an air leak between the carb and head (my dumb ass didn't tighten a clamp enough). It seems as though it may have a little hesitation at higher rpms though. I wasn't able to really open her up do to traffic.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been buying my jets from Rocky Mountain ATV...excellent service and good prices.

One trick that I've used is to set a cinder block and a piece of wood next to the engine to set the carbs on. This keeps me from having to disconnect the throttle cable. I just swing the entire assembly over, change the jets and boom...it's done in less than 45 minutes.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...le=Intake/Fuel&webCatId=16&prodFamilyId=25596

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes! Disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle cable is a pain. It took me just as long to do that as it did to disassemble the rest of the bike. I found adjusting a lot of slack into the cable at the handlebar really helped. I just tightened up the slack afterwards. Considering I was going to open the carbs, I wanted to remove it completely and take it to a clean area to work on it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine ran great on 150's until I opened it up....it was not getting enough fuel to take it over 100 mph so I went to 160's which fixed that problem.

There is a jetting calculator on here. Search for it and give it a shot. My setup is based on it's recommendations and I'm happy with it.

One more thing you're going to want to do if you're running pods is to reroute your carb vent hoses. Where they are in the stock position, a cross wind can cause it to stumble and feel like it's running out of gas. Some people tuck them behind the head. What I did was put small fullers earth filters on them, and tucked them into the airbox which of course is no longer hooked up....problem solved. Another user pointed that out to me so if you search, you'll find the post regarding pods and vent hoses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very interesting calculator http://www.dinqua.com/

It tells me #150 is better for my setup. I will try those and also the #160 to see how they perform. Until I acquire the other jets, the #127.5 jets I installed will do just fine!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
That's not what I concluded from that calculator?

It's for a Hinckley twin, where the stock jet is 120. But if you use the their 'ratio' increase for pod filters, applied to our stock 98s, you would get about 125.

150 is what the 98hp ('Green' cam) T3s are using with pods, way to rich for ours I think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If that's the case, then my 127.5 jets should be on the money. I will have to find a dyno in town and see what kind of power she's making and go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts