Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just recently bought my triumph. im only nineteen years old an didnt have enough money to buy a brand new bike so i found this one. i had to replace the throttle cabel. and in doing so i have messed up my fuel pump or fuel lines or something. theres two maine lines that stick out of the tank an either i broke the plastic adapter that sticks out of the fuel pump or i just donnt know how too hook the gas lines back to the fuel pump. because they stick in the adapters a lil bit . and the top adapter just spins around in place like its a stripped out screw the gas might be leaking between the tank and the edge og the adapter. if you have any ideas please help i have no clue what to do an there is no dealer very close either.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The fuel connectors need to be replaced with metal ones asap! If fuel is leaking, siphon the gas out of the tank, remove it and have the fittings replaced at the Triumph dealer. they are covered under an open ended safety recall. Also, clean the fuel off the frame, as it will turn the nice grey paint brown. Happened to a friend of mine.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yes you can change them yourself, but get a dealer to order the replacements and make sure they don't charge you. As mentioned a recall should take care of it. Actually a dealer should do the repair for free also. It sounds as though you are not very comfortable with the mechanics of the bike and maybe you should have someone more confident do the work. Changing them is really very simple and straight forward. I would also suggest you get a hold of a workshop manual to do your own work or to at least familiarize yourself with your new machine. If you do the replacement yourself be careful not to nick the o rings on the fittings when trying to hook them to the tank or you'll be replacing the o rings. The clamps on the fuel lines are also kind of a bugger to get snapped in place. From what I remember you get new clamps with the new fittings. If you were in Illinois I'd do it for you or at least show you how. Good luck and ask questions if needed. Feel free to pm me if you need anything.

TT

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Let's make sure we are not creating confusion here!

The female fittings in the fuel pump are plastic and NOT covered by recall - only the male fittings on the hoses are replaceable by recall with metal ones.

There are after-market replacement kits for all-metal, but not directly from OEM triumph.

If the male fittings are already metal, then recall has been done. It's unlikely you could break these (if metal) although o-rings could leak.

Now - can you clarify what you think is broken?
When you insert the male into the female dry-break, just push it firm until it seats fully and 'click's the locking tab into place. If you can pull them apart again without pressing the release tab, it is not fully engaged.

I cannot believe that the female would turn without breaking completely off (or could even be cracked) as gas would already be spewing out. The male will rotate slightly within the female, even when it is fully engaged.

If you have a camera, can you take & post a picture please.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
As I re-read you defined problem, are you saying the top female one in the pump, the return, is rotating and potentially leaking?
Is it leaking from the thread area, or through the fitting?
(if it stops leaking when the male is fully inserted, then it is only the dry-break seal that is bad - only a problem for maintenance but does not affect normal operation)

If the former, then possibly it is indeed broken.

If the latter, this is not atypical as the dry-break o-ring can shrink over time and not seal closed when disconnected. However in this instance, it makes no difference when its actually connected.

These fittings are not trivial to replace - but not impossible either.
The first thing that happens is that they will break the heads off completely when you try to remove it. Then it will have to be drilled out & all the plastic threads & sealant goo cleaned out with the BSP tap.
My advice would be that if it is NOT broken, leave it alone.
If you do have one broken, repair that one as you have no option - based on your level of success and work required to replace it, then you can decide if you want to do the other as a preventive measure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes its broke off in the fuel pump i took the gas tank to the nearest dealer an they are replacing it i will try an post a pic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any update boss man? I replaced mine with brass simple fittings. It makes it tight to get the tank in and out, but I no longer have nightmares of a flaming end to my thighs and whoo whoos....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts