Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Triumph. Pretty excited!!
Bought from a guy in NYC, who I believe is a member here.
The bike was filthy when I picked it up. Been spending the last 2 weeks cleaning, degreasing, polishing, etc.

The previous owner removed the stock airbox and replaced with pod filters. I'm having a hard time identifying the pod filters(make/model). The carbs are stock Keihin. The bike currently runs lean. I understand that I need to change the main jet and from what I've read I think a 130 main should work. Thoughts? Advice?

The speedometer currently doesn't work. It looks like it was broken at the fork, not the speedo housing? Do you think I'll need a whole new speedo or just the cable? And does the cable connect to the broken looking piece next to the brake on the front fork?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yep, looks like you need a new speedo cable.

For pods, I see larger main jets than 130 being used by members on here, but I'll let them weigh in with specific sizes. Have you checked to see what's in there already?

Probably at least one size up - 40 - pilot jet, and some needle shims would be needed too.

I see you have the fastest colour scheme ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike!

I was hoping not to change anything else in the carbs, but from what I'm reading, yeah....you're probably right.
Never done anything like this before, but with the threads from the forum I'm oddly not afraid to do it myself.

I'm digging the color! Looks fast in my driveway!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
373 Posts
I see you have the fastest colour scheme
:thumb
mine's faster, i have the stripes on the fenders too :D

Jrat, Nice! welcome!
the pods are probably off ebay just search for 36 mm air filter. or emgo brand, but basically the same thing.
might wanna check this thread out, I know you don't have the airbox but i have some notes on the carb screw sizes if you wanna replace those rusted ones on the caps and bowls.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use 130's in my bike, and I'm in denver at high elivation. You would probably need a couple sizes higher for yours, but if the jets you have in there already aren't close to 130, then that would be a good starting point. Dig through the proven setups thread and see if anyone posted results close to where you live. Carbs are touchy, be careful! DO NOT HOSE THEM DOWN WITH CARB CLEANER WHILE THEY ARE ASSEMBLED. They need to be completely taken apart otherwise the carb cleaner will ruin all of the rubber seals. Don't ask how I know this! Haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts