Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Give me about 15 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not 200,000 miles but I've clocked up 171,000km (106254 miles) on my 2002 Bonneville that I purchased new in October 2001,
I plan on keeping this bike so Ill let you know when I reach 200,000 miles (321,868km)

·
Registered
39 Posts
G'day TR790, goodonya 171000 km. I've got a 2001 but only with 98000km, so it's heartening to know that I've got a lot more kms to go. Be great to know what work if any you have had to do for that many kms beside normal wear and tear.
Pete.

·
Registered
353 Posts
given the length of the production run, the availability of aftermarket parts, and the basic understressed build quality of these bikes I expect there will be quite a few with high miles on them running around for many years to come. It is for me at least not a bike that I tend to rack up major miles fast and in fact I 've noticed quite a few 5-10 years old Bonnie's showing up on the used market with less than 5,000 miles on them. Given that, 200k may take a bit tho what, that's year 5 for a number of Goldwing's?:grin2:

·
Registered
210 Posts
G'day Pete,

Over the last 15 years my 2002 Bonneville has been reliable and a pleasure to own,

My riding average is 12,000km a year,

I change the oil and filter every 6,000km or so,

rear tyre last around 15,000km/front tyre around 30,000 t0 35,000km,

valve shims only adjusted twice in 15 years,

I replaced the original clutch cable after 10 years,

Chains last about 30,000km,

I've had one flat tyre,

lost the trip meter knob

replaced about 6 broken rear spoke nipples,

Had issues with the bikes engine just stopping which turned out to be the tank tip over valve
mounted horizontal,

Fitted a new rear disc rotor/ still have original front rotor

I have an issue with clutch chatter but is only a problem in heavy stop n go traffic and I live in the country,

My bonne has many modifications for improvement rather than performance that overall improves the performance,

with 98,000km on your 2001 Bonneville you have many kilometres in front of you,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks TR790, makes me feel a lot more comfortable, replacement parts pretty well the same though must be a bit tougher on tyres F 20, R 12, still on second chain and sprockets , original F & R discs. Was getting a bit worried about cam chain but was talking to JCS Motorcycles, my dealer in Perth and they said "come back and see us when I have 200,000 on it. Great Bike.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That list looks like the list for the guy down in LA with 140,000 thousand plus miles. Nothing more then clutch cable, one valve adjustment over 100,000 miles, oil pump gears (130,000 plus miles) and I think steering neck bearings, and then something about swing arm bearings only because of water intrusion and lack of factory grease in his swing arm, (that was something that went on with the first year bikes). My 2007 had a whole bunch of grease in the swing arm when I removed and checked, along with lack of water in there, since they changed the type of seals at sometime during the production run.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
G'day Pete,

Over the last 15 years my 2002 Bonneville has been reliable and a pleasure to own,

My riding average is 12,000km a year,

I change the oil and filter every 6,000km or so,

rear tyre last around 15,000km/front tyre around 30,000 t0 35,000km,

valve shims only adjusted twice in 15 years,

I replaced the original clutch cable after 10 years,

Chains last about 30,000km,

I've had one flat tyre,

lost the trip meter knob

replaced about 6 broken rear spoke nipples,

Had issues with the bikes engine just stopping which turned out to be the tank tip over valve
mounted horizontal,

Fitted a new rear disc rotor/ still have original front rotor

I have an issue with clutch chatter but is only a problem in heavy stop n go traffic and I live in the country,

My bonne has many modifications for improvement rather than performance that overall improves the performance,

with 98,000km on your 2001 Bonneville you have many kilometres in front of you,
My list is almost identical for my 04 with 153,000km

1 x clutch cable, 1 x rear rotor, valves were still in spec at 100,000km, oil every 5k Filter every 10k, chains and sprockets. Other than that, Happy Days!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Some of these members might be close to achieving it by now:

Aussie Bodgie
Claimed 230,000 km (142,915 miles) in September 2014

bultacorick
with 130,000 miles claimed in June 2013
Wow! are these guys still active on the forum?
love to know more about their bikes

looks like mine has got years in front of it with only 8,000 kilometers

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is great to know, seeing as I've put just over 7,000 miles on my 2001 Bonnie in the last four months. Bought it at the end of January with 5,066 miles on it, and it's got 12,900 on it now. Longest ride on it in a single day was this past Memorial Day at 304 miles in a big group. That Corbin seat is the best thing I've put on the bike. I've got a set of TEC rear shocks with external reservoir on order that should be here soon, so I'm looking forward to not feeling like my spleen has been ruptured on every crack in the pavement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got just a little under 198,000 miles to go.

This is a great thread. The thought is interesting. The Bonneville by design seems ideal for long-term/hi-mileage ownership.

So far my T100 is proving my expectations as a capable "tourer" and fun for local exploration/cruising.

I'd love to be riding my Bonneville several decades from now. And, there's good reason to believe I can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts