Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 20,000 mile service done on my 2018 Bonny T-120 at 20,318 miles. Since I purchased in the first week of last December, I figure to get about 22,000 miles in one year. It has been a fantastic bike, best I've owned of 14 over the years, easier to keep looking like new than I thought, and so far it has been very reliable.

When I bought the bike I paid $2,000 for 3 years service and this service, which would have cost me $1,323.66, along with the others marks the time when that investment paid off for me.

The service involves a valve job among other major tasks that I can't do myself and I was glad they were able to do it all in one day. It was a long service as I took it in at 9:00 a.m. and it was finished by 3:30 p.m...

So I walked around San Jose, CA and even waited in line of 22 people for a Popeye's chicken sandwich. It is interesting to me what things people will actually line up to buy.

I made sure to check the cruise control because at the 10,000 mile service they did something which made it inoperable until I took it back. No problem this time.

I constantly get "nice" comments about the bike and would highly recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Congrats on hitting 20K so quickly. I agree with you that these bikes are fantastic! Mine has been great.

Recently passed 20K on my T120 also. I'm fortunate to be able to perform the service required myself, except for the valve check and adjustment (I'd really like to learn how). I also passed on servicing the headstock bearings which requires the removal of a lot of things in order to get to. I used the same worksheet that the Triumph techs use.

I couldn't help notice the time allotted for our services. I was charged 5.5 hours to "check & adjust valve clearance only". They charged 7 hours for your service. I find it hard to believe they could possibly do all of the other things needing service in that time frame. I have removed my own valve cover and know what's involved. I'm not saying your dealer "skipped" anything, but the time spent doesn't add up to me.

Main thing is that we're happy with the bikes and I hope they continue to run without issues. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Congrats on hitting 20K so quickly. I agree with you that these bikes are fantastic! Mine has been great.

Recently passed 20K on my T120 also. I'm fortunate to be able to perform the service required myself, except for the valve check and adjustment (I'd really like to learn how). I also passed on servicing the headstock bearings which requires the removal of a lot of things in order to get to. I used the same worksheet that the Triumph techs use.

I couldn't help notice the time allotted for our services. I was charged 5.5 hours to "check & adjust valve clearance only". They charged 7 hours for your service. I find it hard to believe they could possibly do all of the other things needing service in that time frame. I have removed my own valve cover and know what's involved. I'm not saying your dealer "skipped" anything, but the time spent doesn't add up to me.

Main thing is that we're happy with the bikes and I hope they continue to run without issues. :smile2:
I would suggest it's probably the other way around, 5.5 hours sounds a lot just for a valve clearance check on a t120, especially if they haven't adjusted any which isn't likely as they would have charged you for shims.:frown2:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree with you. I started to think after I posted, maybe I was the one who got charged a little more. Oh well.. good thing is I don’t have to rely on my dealer very often.

I did receive a worksheet indicating all intake valves had shims replaced. It made me feel I at least got something..:smile2:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I agree with you. I started to think after I posted, maybe I was the one who got charged a little more. Oh well.. good thing is I don’t have to rely on my dealer very often.

I did receive a worksheet indicating all intake valves had shims replaced. It made me feel I at least got something..:smile2:
I didn't realise they changed any Shims, that makes the time a bit more realistic:smile2:
A lot of dealers would have charged extra for shims, maybe yours just swapped them with ones they have in the kit.

I think I'll check mine this winter even though it's only done 9500miles, I know some people on here have checked theirs early and found them to be inconsistent from the factory.
I think it should be relatively easy compared with my Daytona 675 I did last year anyway, that has twice as much stuff to remove and only half as much room to work in, plus you have to remove both cams to replace any shims:frown2:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I hope that worksheet gave you all of the measurements both before and after they replaced shims. I would also be good to know the measurement of the shims that are in place, I believe they are stamped but those marking probably wear off and each shim would need to be remeasured and remarked before being placed in the box that the dealer keeps the shims in. Probably no charge because they swapped out the shims with ones they had in the box.

I also hope that Road_Gypsy got that same sort of worksheet.

"Interesting" how expensive (ouch) these valves with shims are to check and then replace with other shims.

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow, that is surprising you had zero clearance on both intake valves. I am not racking up the miles like you guys since I spread my time between 3 bikes. I was planning to do a valve check at 10,000 miles but it might be wise to do it even sooner.

Chuck

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, the valve adjustment worksheet shows initial intake clearances, present shim sizes, replacement shim sizes and final clearances.
it's really good that you get the sheet, would be useful to know what they were set up from the factory so you can judge how the gaps had moved over the 20000 miles and maybe adjust the intervals accordingly.
It's a bit worrying and surprising that all four inlet valves had closed up to 0 gap, I always assumed the gaps would get larger on the inlet valves over time, and the exhaust gaps close up due to the hotter exhaust valves causing wear on the valve seats, and that's how the gaps went on my Daytona but yours seem to have gone opposite?
Your readings have given me more reason to check mine this winter even though it's done less than 10000 miles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Chuck, @ 10K miles I attempted/decided to check valve clearances myself. This was my first attempt ever at doing this. I had a very difficult time getting a feeler gauge in on the intakes. The clearances are very small and I found it hard to get an accurate measurement. Being very inexperienced at this endeavor, I decided to leave them as is and wait until I hit 20K. I flat out don't know enough about this to make any intelligent comment. If the valves needed adjusting would one hear valve train noise? Fortunately, in my case the bike ran fine for the next 10K without any issues..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Excessive valve clearance can result in some valve noise. Lack of clearance can result in the valve not fully seating. It is better to have a little too much than too little clearance. Probably more critical in pushrod engines than our overhead cam engines because of more thermal expansion of the valve train. It would be hard to measure less than zero clearance in our engines (would have to check at less than top dead center) but you would likely notice a performance decrease.

Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts