Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of an '02 Sprint. My primary concern (or should I say my wife's) is the passenger confort level. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Is an 02 ST comfy?

Hi....

get it!

It's comfy... so comfy my wife has been known to sleep on the back!

Warp speeds on a motorway... ZZZzzzzzzz

Playing keep up with a Daytona and an 06 ST across A roads of France... ZZZZzzzzz

All I gotta do now is fit an off switch to the voice activated intercom!!!

We've been to Barcelona from the UK, around Paris to the Champagne region with the RAT, go camping around the UK and the bike lugs all the kit, keeps up with just about anything out there, returns 47-55mpg and is as comfy as you could want.

Check out the albums for some of the camping loads it's carried!

Did I mention.... do it?

Why don't you take her with you for the test ride?

Where abouts are you? UK, US, Aus?

Finally.... DO IT!

Rexx

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

I'm considering the purchase of an '02 Sprint. My primary concern (or should I say my wife's) is the passenger confort level. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Welcome to TriumphRat.net and the Sprint forum ghale:).

Don and I ask all new members to please read our forum stickies as it helps with knowing how we run this site.:)

On the subject of your question I totally agree with Rexx.

Like Rexx my wife is also a very good pillion and we have travelled 60,000kms now on my '04 Sprint (basically Identical to the '02), many of these have been two up mountain rides with a few trips.

I have had the Triumph Gel seat almost since new and we both like it a lot, just cover the gel seat in hot sun or your bum will be toast!:D

The Sprint is a very very smooth machine that handles very well when set up correctly and is a most comfortable tourer or sports bike.

Rexx has it all right! There are pics in both my albums here in the clicky links below.

Enjoy our forum.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Rexx and dave are right.

I do 2 up allot and my wife is ready for a rest after a couple hours. The RS's pillion foot pegs are slightly higher than the ST,s but it has the same seat.

You don't notice the pillion even in the twisties but I have a great pillion IMO.

Try it, but be warned. Once you try one, you'll buy one. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
We have a 2001 with a stock seat. The legs stretch every so often is our method as well...if we are doing lost of twisties, we break more often than on the hwy. Using this method we go on full day rides as often as we can and she is just fine. BTW both of us are tall (I am 6'3" and she is 5'10")

Last Sat. we did a 170mi run of all mountain fun!

Isnt she BEAUTIFUL?

And my wife's not bad looking either!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Before I bought the '05, my wife and I put a ton of miles on the '01. It was a great bike for touring. Good luck!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Comfy!

I can honestly say my '02-ST is one of THE most comfortable bikes, either one or two up, that I have owned yet!! And Ive owned Harley Dressers too. The (stock) seat (for me) is soooo comfy, long or short runs. I have never had a complaint yet from a passenger on mine. And Ive had everything from overweight/heavy girls and guy (friends) to 98lb. skinny chiks.

My ex said my bike looked uncomfortable. I stress 'looked'. Once I took her for her first ride, she LOVED it and didnt complain once no matter how long we rode.

I have a friend that lives down the jersey-shore area. Id go down and ride her around during the summer months. She found it sooo comfy, half of the time she didnt even have to hold on. Then again, when I have a passenger, I ride on the conservitive-side. No horsin' round.

Oh yeah....and Welcome! Lotsa great peep's here :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife doesn't like to ride behind me on the Sprint. The stock seat had her sliding forward, and the Corbin was too firm. Plus, the '07 seats the pillion way up high and she's not fond of the wind blast at higher (freeway) speeds.

I'll likely have to find another moto if we're to do any long distance riding. But the Sprint is here to stay. :)

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
My wife is fine for a couple of hours at a time on our 2003 Sprint ST with standard seat and bags. We have never tried to go any farther without a rest stop (lunch, etc.), but I think the limitation is her back getting tired. I bought a top case on eBay, but am still looking for a rack so I can mount it.

I did notice most of the posts relate to the earlier version (pre-2005) Sprints, which have slightly longer wheelbases and flatter seats. I don't think my wife would be quite as comfortable on the newer bike.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As a single guy I get a wide sampling of different women on the back. On my 06 everyone said they were way up high, but most ended up liking it off the highway cause they could actually see ahead instead of just the back of my head. Also they made me sit up to be a wind break on the highway.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My 02

G'day..

Like everyone has said, the 02 is a great 2 up touring bike. We've done about 40K 2 up, no complaints at all. Also, looked at an 07 once, Mary Ann hated the seating position - said she didn't feel connected to me..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Every pillon, like every rider, is gonna have a different opinion.

My wife is 5-7 and is ok with being pillon on my '03 Sprint ST. I feel we're too close coupled. As much as I love my wife, I feel crowded.

Since I'm not getting rid of the wife, or the Sprint. I went out and got an '08 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA to hand the two-up chores. The rear portion of the saddle is longer/wider. She likes the pillon better and I feel more comfortable. I also like the ABS (something my next Sprint will have) feature for two-up use. I'll being mounting a topcase for her comfort.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Suspension Settings

My Girl and I have done plenty of day-long rides lasting 200-300 miles and LOVE THIS BIKE (01 ST)!

She feels comfy, safe, and likes that she can see over my shoulder a bit.

With the two hard bags and a soft tailbag we have enough luggage space to make it to Niagara Falls for a 4 day trip. Not Camping; staying in motels.

The bike has plenty of get up and go with 2 up as well.
I'm no racer (never did a smoke show or pulled a wheelie nor had a track day), but the 01 ST handles just fine at the limits I push her around Connecticut. Whenever I find myself looking at & testing newer Triumphs or BMW's I get back on my ST and say 'Na!' This I'm keeping this one!!!

While we're on the subject of 2-up, I've been playing with the suspension settings. I know that asking someone about how to tune suspention so that is just right is like asking someone what is best way to make a martini...But here goes...

I'd like to hear what some of you 2-uppers set your front and back suspensions at.
Please chime in...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife doesn't like to ride behind me on the Sprint. The stock seat had her sliding forward, and the Corbin was too firm. Plus, the '07 seats the pillion way up high and she's not fond of the wind blast at higher (freeway) speeds.

I'll likely have to find another moto if we're to do any long distance riding. But the Sprint is here to stay. :)
Hey Vex, check your PM...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts