Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to whether or not and if so, how often, Bonnie owners here ride 2-up. Are your passengers content back there or are they ready to take a break after 30 minutes? Thanks in advance for any input.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
We ride most weekends, my wife is 5'7". We can do about an hour before needing a break, but that is about the limit. She seems quite happy on the back though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Abundant complaints from rear passengers with stock seat, but not one with aftermarket upgraded seats

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Actually my wife didn't seem to mind the stock or the slammer I have now. However I think the older (05) seats might be better than the newer stock ones.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm no lightweight (275) and my ladyfriend is about 5'4" and 140. She far prefers the Bonnie to my Suzuki GSF1250 because it much easier for her to get on and off in a "ladylike manner" and she feels it is more comfortable too (i agree - it rides better fully loaded than with just me aboard). She has noted with the fairly flat seat that it feels like she will slide off the back if I accelerate briskly ("briskly"? Really?? With 410 pounds of riders on a Bonnie???), but that is her only negative comment. We've done 6-hr rides with no complaint from her.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Actually my wife didn't seem to mind the stock or the slammer I have now. However I think the older (05) seats might be better than the newer stock ones.

To be honest, my lady tolerated the stock seat much better than I did. I hated that thing with a divine, fiery passion. Before she got her first bike, we would do 8 hour days on the stock seat and I'd be cursing the seat at 3 hours while she'd make it to 6. We then incorporated a King & Queen that I'd swap on for two-up. Hands down the best two-up seat.

Since she got her first bike, I sold the K&Q and bought a BC Slammer. For looks and comfort, my favorite of the seats I've owned thus far. Can do full days in it without a problem

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Beyoncé and I ride just about every weekend on the stock seat/ stock suspension. I'm right at 6'2" 200 and shes about 5'4" 120. After an hour or so she'll complain about her butt being numb but hell mine is too after an hour on that seat. A little break and we're back on our way. We haven't done any real long days yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ride 2-up with my wife a couple times a month during the warmer months. Mag Bonnie with stock seat and suspension. We both enjoy it for going out to lunch or coffee. Only issue is a little discomfort from the seat on longer rides.. I will likely be picking up a more forgiving seat for any rides over an hour or so. For the record, I'm about 145 and she is 120.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I dont have a Bonnie but I would think with a seat like an oem "King and Queen" you'd be set for some nice milage. You could swap it in and out when needed.

·
Premium Member
2019 Bonneville T120
76 Posts
What yrunvs said is my experience; stock seat is fine for a couple of hours but for all day rides the oem king and queen is fantastic (not in looks but in comfort), only takes a couple of minutes to swap out. Did have to compromise and get the Triumph sissy bar because my wife said she felt like she was going to slide off the back with the flat stock seat, don't have that problem with the king and queen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My girlfriend is pining for some kind of sissy bar and so far I have been doing my best at refusing. I love the stock grab rail on my bike and dont want to nix it!

These guys have been making a few different styles of sissy bar lately, I may grab that trekker or 6pack short one in the future, seems like its big enough to give someone a small sense of security but small enough to not detract away from the lines of the bike

www.dankaicustoms.com/products

·
Registered
80 Posts
Abundant complaints from rear passengers with stock seat, but not one with aftermarket upgraded seats
This is truth.... I got significantly better response from my passenger after upgrading the seat, the rear shocks (TEC) and adding the smaller luggage rack.

·
Registered
166 Posts

My old bonnie was the only bike my ex would ever ride on with me. HATED my sport bike!!!!

Made her a sissy bar that could be removed easily and she was good to go. We did several trips on that bike and she only ever needed a break about when I did. Things got much better when she herself learned to ride and got better about her body positioning and using her legs to keep from cramming my junk up into the tank.

·
Registered
72 Posts

My old bonnie was the only bike my ex would ever ride on with me. HATED my sport bike!!!!

Made her a sissy bar that could be removed easily and she was good to go. We did several trips on that bike and she only ever needed a break about when I did. Things got much better when she herself learned to ride and got better about her body positioning and using her legs to keep from cramming my junk up into the tank.

Mind going into detail about the sissy bar you made? I'd love something like that if it's easily removable. I'm not crazy about their looks and the Wife only rides with me on select weekends so it'd be nice to slap it on before a ride and remove after without a lot of work

Reactions: motion_addict

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sure thing, it's been a few years but from what I recall I bought a used sissy bar that was made to be used with a grab rail I believe. But instead I made steel .25" brackets that used existing holes already in the frame. What the brackets did was curve down along side the frame and then had two holes for the sissy bar to bolt to. Sorry I don't think I have pictures but if you look in the one I posted you can kind of see it. I also used it on longer trips to strap luggage to. I then welded nuts to the brackets so taking the whole thing on and off could be done with one allen key in about 2 minutes or so. Made her a lot more comfortable on the bike, that at least there was something there to stop her from flying off the back.

FWIW, I just finished welding up some similar brackets for my new Thruxton R. The do pretty much the same thing, so I could take some photos of those.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
There's is also a company called Tomahawk that makes removable sissy bars in different sizes. I have one and can say the build quality is excellent. My wife didn't need much, just something to let her know where the seat ended. Here's a pic of what it looks like without the sissy bar on. It's the little tube in front of the license plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
My girlfriend is pining for some kind of sissy bar and so far I have been doing my best at refusing. I love the stock grab rail on my bike and dont want to nix it!

These guys have been making a few different styles of sissy bar lately, I may grab that trekker or 6pack short one in the future, seems like its big enough to give someone a small sense of security but small enough to not detract away from the lines of the bike

www.dankaicustoms.com/products
The stock sissy bar mounts in a few minutes with four bolts if you already have the mounting rail for it, which you do if you have the stock grab rail. I only mount it when I have a pillion, which these days is never, but I've done so in the past.

If anyone wants to make me an offer for an infrequently-used, good-as-new OEM King and Queen seat, PM me. As others have said, it's ugly and comfortable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts