Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello!
I'm a 2 time Bonnie owner. Being a Scotsman, I felt I had a certain obligation to own a British bike or two.
I previously had a 72-1/2 750 Bonnie with the shifter on the right, and drum brakes. Then I bought a 77 750 Bonnie, shifter on left, with disc brakes.
I owned them both simultaneously for a few years, but sold the older one due to the tremendous differences in brake/shifter setups.
The first time I took the 77 model out, I was so used to the brake and shift setup on the 72-1/2, I almost killed myself, and my bike.
I was riding in a part of town I wasn't familiar with and I had to make a sudden stop due to a hidden stop sign.
Instead of stomping on the rear brake pedal, I stomped on the shifter. Consequently, I somehow blew up third and second gear in my tranny, utterly shattering the gears inside the tranny case.
Luckily, I was able to limp it home.
Shortly afterwards, I opened up the tranny to inspect the damage and found gear teeth and broken gear fragments in the bottom of the case. After reading the shop manual, then, surveying the damage and figuring out what parts I needed to replace, I ordered replacement gears so I could put it back on the road.
The new gears arrived and I was able to rebuild the tranny without much trouble, the bearings, shafts and forks were undamaged.
However, since that day, I have always had problems with false neutrals and missing shifts. Sometimes I'm not even sure I'm hitting fifth gear. It was so crisp and smooth before that incident.
Someone told me I may not have gotten the correct gears, but I matched-up the new gears with the broken original ones and they seemed to fit perfectly on the shafts and in the tranny.
The shift/brake incident seems to have turned a sweet running bike into a sometimes less than enjoyable ride.
Has anyone here ever experienced such a problem?
Other than that, I still love my Bonnie!

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Take a around at the different forums and become familiar with them, especially the ones for your model. Don’t be afraid to post! The only dumb questions are the one’s we don’t ask.
Each forum has a moderator to answer your questions and solve any problems. If you need something lets us know.
Haggis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I intend to fully navigate this site to learn and explore more about my Bonnie. I've had this machine for about 28 years and can't see myself wanting to part with it.
This site looks like it has quite a large variety of interests and information. I hope I can share my knowledge and experience with others as well as pick up a few tips myself.
I'm looking forward to hanging out here and posting frequently.
Enjoy your evening!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts